MOSFET Diode placement in schematic

markwylde

Joined Nov 17, 2017
I'm trying to understand MOSFET's and am having a hard time understanding why we should put a diode between the hot and ground wires when using a motor. It is only when using a motor, right? I wouldn't have to do this if I'm using LEDs?

I believe it's because a motor can generate static which can make it's way back into the circuit?

So I've made a circuit which will control 4 propellers. P1, P2, P3, P4 are the + and - pins that connect to the propeller.

Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 00.26.06.png

Between the + and - pins I've added a diode. Would anyone be able to let me know if it's in the correct place?

Also if it is in the correct place I don't understand how it does anything. Surely the electricity will just ignore it and take the route through the motor?

Thanks for anyone who takes the time to help me.

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
Correct place...wrong polarity.

The way you have them, they will simply bypass the motors, you want them in the other way round so they can suppress the back EMF generated by the motors.

And no...you would not need them for LEDs.

And no, the electricity will not ignore the diodes, they will create a direct short and destroy your MOSFETS.

Last edited:

markwylde

Joined Nov 17, 2017
Thanks @ElectricSpidey. Really appreciate your time.

I thought a diode should always point it's negative end towards ground?

But maybe this is different because we're protecting the circuit from the electricity going in the opposite direction. So if the motor generates EMF, it will get to the diode, but not get past it because of it's polarity?

Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 00.45.50.png

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The diode is to absorb the reverse voltage spike from an inductive load, such as a motor, when it is switched off.

Also you should have the fan connected between 5V and the MOSFET drain with the MOSFET source connected to ground.
You have it connected as a source-follower so the fan voltage will be equal to 5V minus the MOSFET gate-source voltage required to turn it on, which typically is a couple volts or more.

markwylde

Joined Nov 17, 2017
Nope. I think I made a mistake. That would short circuit I think. So basically the gate goes at the end of the circuit?

Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 01.14.11.png

Which I think might work, according to circuitjs simulator :S

Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 01.15.45.png

Maybe this is a better way to represent it?

Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 01.23.32.png

Last edited: