morse code reader with paper tape

uncle yardo

Joined Dec 30, 2014
I like the mfj Morse reader with key input. Problem is it is expensive and doesn't do what I want. I would like to have a 1x40 LCD screen and a built in 9 pin dot matrix printer. I have no idea what to head to select but the point is being as small as possible. It shouldn't be too hard to build a device to slice rolled paper into 1 line strips.

I want a project to play with so I already understand that even the best cw decoders miss a lot. Noise and weak signals and so forth. The problems I perceive is dot matrix heads are loud. But the tape can be for archival and messages can be stored in memory to be printed at the end of transmission. So I have some knowledge of the parallax propeller microcontroller, but none dealing with motors. Basically the roughly 1" wide paper would advance horizontally across the print head. So I'm imagining a p-touch type label maker setup. A rubber friction pad on a pin roller would advance the paper.

So any ideas or a schematic for a 9 pin dot matrix head.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If I understand right you are attempting to make a paper tape punch?
Due to the lack of usage now I would have thought there are more than a few around lying surplus?
Or is this an equivalent in print format?
Max.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Sounds like a decent MCU project for a ham:

Receive morse signal and display text on a LCD screen.
Add-on option: print text on a thermal printer.

uncle yardo

Joined Dec 30, 2014
If I understand right you are attempting to make a paper tape punch?
Due to the lack of usage now I would have thought there are more than a few around lying surplus?
Or is this an equivalent in print format?
Max.
printed. Not punched. But thermal seems like it might be quieter and easier to implement. Also that's a good idea about punch. I might be able to get away without an ink ribbon even. I would have to play with paper weights. I'm thinking thicker paper would hold the punch better if I wasn't to use ink. The hard part is the 9 pin print head interface.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Once I had to build some data loggers with paper tape output. We bought a bunch of TI-5015 thermal printing calculators and interfaced to the printer directly.

uncle yardo

Joined Dec 30, 2014
Once I had to build some data loggers with paper tape output. We bought a bunch of TI-5015 thermal printing calculators and interfaced to the printer directly.

these could work. There used to be a gameboy printer people were using. Super rare now, but rather than advancing the paper that I have to make myself I may choose to have tape come out the top like this. Also will allow me to make the unit small enough

uncle yardo

Joined Dec 30, 2014
what i want to get away from is making a capstan. Unless i rubberize the shaft of the advance motor directly i would need to make a capstan to act as a drive belt to turn a friction roller. Motor shadt would be fine but extend the height of the project box.