Morning distinguished Engineers

Breeze

Joined Jun 30, 2015
I need help with simplifying this integral,i have tried a couple of formulae but with no success

2x+1/3x^2+3x+5 dx...see the uploaded attachment of my attempts at solving it

Attachments

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Yes I do. Once the constant factor, k, is removed the numerator is the derivative of the denominator, and the answer follows as:

\(k\cdot ln(u)\)​

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I need help with simplifying this integral,i have tried a couple of formulae but with no success

2x+1/3x^2+3x+5 dx...see the uploaded attachment of my attempts at solving it
One thing you need to do is to stop being sloppy with your notation. What you have written above is

\(
\int \; \( 2x \; + \; \frac{1}{3}x^2 \; + \; 3x \; + \; 5 \) \; dx
\)

Sloppiness in notation leads to (or results from) sloppiness in thought.

Breeze

Joined Jun 30, 2015
Thank you all for your help have actually found the answer following your leads,i have seen where my mistake was,i had somehow overlooked the concept in my notes,so i actually found it some moments ago of course with the hints from all of you.I want to apologize for my sloppiness as it were,as a newbie in Engineering i certainly have a lot of concepts to learn and master,needless to say i need to quickly master the art of writing in proper notation,i will as a matter of urgency get myself well acquainted wit TEX.I want to express my heartfelt gratitude at your tireless efforts in helping me through my schooling as an aspiring budding engineer.

Breeze

Joined Jun 30, 2015
One thing you need to do is to stop being sloppy with your notation. What you have written above is

\(
\)

i am very sorry about my sloppiness,the above expression should actually be,find the integral of: (2x+1)/(3x^2+3x+5) dx

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
hm...
\(
\frac{2x+1}{3x^2+3x+5}=\frac{2x}{3x^2+3x+5}+\frac{1}{3x^2+3x+5}
\)
then
\(
\int\frac{2x+1}{3x^2+3x+5}dx=\int\frac{2x}{3x^2+3x+5}+\frac{1}{3x^2+3x+5}dx=\int\frac{2x}{3x^2+3x+5}dx+\int\frac{1}{3x^2+3x+5}dx=2\int\frac{x}{3x^2+3x+5}dx+\int\frac{1}{3x^2+3x+5}dx
\)
^ would finding two simpler integrals and then combining the results help?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Conceivably it could also have been:

\((\;2x + \frac{1}{3x^2} +3x + 5)\)
Nope. Division and multiplication have equal precedence and are left associative. Thus the division is performed before the multiplication.

Highest priority -- exponentiation:

2x+1/3x^2+3x+5 = 2x+1/3(x^2)+3x+5

Next, multiplication and division, left to right:

(2x)+((1/3)(x^2))+(3x)+5

Next, addition and subtraction, left to right:

((((2x)+((1/3)(x^2)))+(3x))+5)

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006

\(
\)

Nope. Division and multiplication have equal precedence and are left associative. Thus the division is performed before the multiplication.
There are exceptions to the left associative rule: APL for one. But I agree, that it is the most common practice in many programming languages. Maybe we should all learn RPN and dispense with the ambiguity of infix notation.

\(2\; x\; *\; 1\; +\; 3\; x\; x\; *\; *\; 3\; x\; *\; +\; 5\; +\; /\;\)

or perhaps

\(2\; x\; *\; 1\; +\; 3\; x\; 2\; \^\; *\; 3\; x\; *\; +\; 5\; +\; /\;\)

On second thought -- maybe not.

Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
There are exceptions to the left associative rule: APL for one. But I agree, that it is the most common practice in many programming languages. Maybe we should all learn RPN and dispense with the ambiguity of infix notation.

\(2\; x\; *\; 1\; +\; 3\; x\; x\; *\; *\; 3\; x\; *\; +\; 5\; +\; /\;\)

On second thought -- maybe not.
Has nothing to do with programming languages (the TS's problem has nothing to do with programs). This is the (as far as I know) universal precedence rules taught in grade school.

I'm definitely a proponent of RPN, but postfix notation has the real potential to cause confusion when written out because the operands often run together -- that's probably why humans adopted infix notation a few centuries ago.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
You are right, it would not have helped. My freshman calculus textbook does not have that form in the table of integrals.
I find it hard to believe that:

\(\int \; \frac{1}{x} \; dx \; =\; ln(x) \; + \; C\)

is not there. All of mine do!

Last edited:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Has nothing to do with programming languages (the TS's problem has nothing to do with programs). This is the (as far as I know) universal precedence rules taught in grade school.

I'm definitely a proponent of RPN, but postfix notation has the real potential to cause confusion when written out because the operands often run together -- that's probably why humans adopted infix notation a few centuries ago.
It was supposed to be joke son. Kinda like the fantasy that we could adopt the metric system. You didn't think I was serious I hope.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
In fact, RPN is far more computationally efficient than infix -- especially for low complexity hardware. It is for this reason that I have my own set of stack-based floating point libraries for my PIC work.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
In fact, RPN is far more computationally efficient than infix -- especially for low complexity hardware. It is for this reason that I have my own set of stack-based floating point libraries for my PIC work.
Definitely no argument there.