Molding polyurethane for potting electronics?

gimpo

Joined Jan 27, 2016
The one from that little german manufacturer reported above, it cures in 12 minutes. But I think that also the products from Polytech would work.
I've mounted the device on a motorcycle and tested for 3 months in rain, cold/hot weather and with a lot of vibrations. The resin appears as the first day: no cracks, no flaking and no strange changes in density or color. Also from the electrical point of view there are no problems.

The manufacturer said me that it's possible to change the color of the resin by adding their black pigments. But I made no experiments about that.

UPDATE:
One big advantage in using resin for potting that I've discovered is related to cables: one don't need to firmly block the cables with special strain reliefs or cable glands. It is enough to flood them when filling your box with the resin. You will be no more able to get them cables out of the box. I've tried to pull out a cable by using all my brutal force and... no way to get them out! I've broken the external mantel of the cable but the wires was still inside the box.
So one can use simple rubber sleeves for in/out cables, saving money and time during the assembly.

Last edited: