Mmm...Current sauce...

Bemcma3

Joined Aug 14, 2009
Hey,

If I were trying to solve this circuit for Vout by simultaneous equations or gaussian elimination, which node would be best to consider as my ground? I'm getting a little confused about the effects of the current sources, can anyone explain their effect and how to consider them within the circuit?

Ratch

Joined Mar 20, 2007
Bemcma3,

If I were trying to solve this circuit for Vout by simultaneous equations or gaussian elimination, which node would be best to consider as my ground?
If I were going to solve this circuit using the single node method, then I would chose the center node for ground reference, because it connects to the most branches. But instead, on this problem, I would combine the center node with the south node into a supernode, and use the supernode method to eliminate one solution equation.

I'm getting a little confused about the effects of the current sources, can anyone explain their effect and how to consider them within the circuit?
Current sources have very profound effects on circuits, as much as voltage sources do. They are included in node and loop equations as are voltage sources and cannot be ignored. A good textbook is your friend in how to do this.

Ratch

AdrianN

Joined Apr 27, 2009
I'm getting a little confused about the effects of the current sources, can anyone explain their effect and how to consider them within the circuit?
This is a special circuit. Vs imposes the voltage between the central node and the negative output pin, while Is forces the current in the positive output node. As such, Vo behavior is determined only by the loop formed by Vs, upper R and Vo. The rest of the circuit is irrelevant.

Therefore, the only two equations you need are one on that loop and another in the positive output node:

-Vs = Ix R + Vo
Is = -Ix + Vo/R

2 simple equations with 2 unknowns. I will let you find Vo expression.