Mission to mars

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Seems to me like there might be some interference from the sun or... something

Maybe I just cant get past the thought that the outside is vacuum, but it just doesn't seem right without some kind of container.
The container is there to keep the air out, but if there is no air...

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
Yea...
anyway, it would be cool, and it would definitely cause a resurgence in tube-style tech since you don't need to worry about manufacturing them... this could start entirely new hobbies!
now I'm jealous, I want the opportunity to experiment with this whenever I want :(

bribri

Joined Feb 20, 2011
anyway, it would be cool, and it would definitely cause a resurgence in tube-style tech since you don't need to worry about manufacturing them
my understanding is that tubes are far more resilient to EMP damage than semiconductors. that seems to be one reason why they are still in use for high-power radio transmission and such things.

i'm still a bit shy with tubes, partly because the power supplies can make whatever tools you happen to have in your hand go flying across the room.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
It was already mentioned briefly in this thread but there has been talk of a one way mission. My question is if you were asked to go, would you?

I doubt I would unless I knew I was going to die of some disease in a few years anyway. Seems like it would be a life time prison sentence to be confined to a small habitat for the rest of your life. Going outside would involve getting suited up, does not sound real attractive either.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The idea, I think, is very long duration. You might get to come back if there were a follow up mission. Somehow I don't have that much faith, but I expect some people would.

Colonizing the moon would be similar, but being so much closer the odds of returning are much greater.

AlexR

Joined Jan 16, 2008
It was already mentioned briefly in this thread but there has been talk of a one way mission. My question is if you were asked to go, would you?

I doubt I would unless I knew I was going to die of some disease in a few years anyway. Seems like it would be a life time prison sentence to be confined to a small habitat for the rest of your life. Going outside would involve getting suited up, does not sound real attractive either.
A one way mission to Mars, what a brilliant idea. Can we nominate people to send? I can think of several politicians who would make ideal candidates!