Mini USB Circuit Board Connection.

JBASport

Joined Jan 15, 2019
I have a cordless hot plastic stapler. The mini USB got dislodged by inserting the charging cable & finally parted company. I have ordered a new mini USB (see picture) and need to connect it to the printed circuit board. The image 2 shows where it is supposed to fit at the end. and not sure how I would solder it in place as the connections are small and so close together. are all the connections likely to be relevant as its only for charging? If so could i concentrate on connecting the relevant ones some how? I realise it is difficult to determine only having pictures to refer to, but any help would be really appreciated. Many thanks Terry

Attachments

Juhahoo

Joined Jun 3, 2019
All of the pin connections are needed because the device nust communicate with the power supply.
Communication is not necessary except if higher power output is needed, and this board doesnt have any wiring from the D+D- pins, so communication is not even possible. Useless to solder all pins, unless more mechanical support is required.

Dave Lowther

Joined Sep 8, 2016
@JBASport Perhaps you don't need to use a mini USB connector. These connectors seem inappropriately fragile for some applications. I replaced a broken micro USB connector on my head torch with a barrel jack socket which is much more robust. I cut the USB connector off the charging lead and replaced it with a jack plug. You might be able to find where the +5V and Gnd pads of the USB connector go to on the board using a continuity tester and find somewhere easier to solder wires for connection to a jack socket.

JBASport

Joined Jan 15, 2019
@JBASport Perhaps you don't need to use a mini USB connector. These connectors seem inappropriately fragile for some applications. I replaced a broken micro USB connector on my head torch with a barrel jack socket which is much more robust. I cut the USB connector off the charging lead and replaced it with a jack plug. You might be able to find where the +5V and Gnd pads of the USB connector go to on the board using a continuity tester and find somewhere easier to solder wires for connection to a jack socket.
Once I find the 2 relevant wires on the charging lead, could I directly connect to the + & - terminals on the battery, as you suggest, maybe using a jack plug assembly instead of the micro USB?

Dave Lowther

Joined Sep 8, 2016
Once I find the 2 relevant wires on the charging lead, could I directly connect to the + & - terminals on the battery, as you suggest, maybe using a jack plug assembly instead of the micro USB?
I wouldn't do that unless a continuity test shows there are direct connections on the PCB from 5V / Gnd on the mini USB connector to the battery +/- connections.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
What is so hard about soldering the five connections plus the two end mounting locations?? All you need is a small point for the soldering iron and a magnifier to see what you are doing. You will need a steady hand, and you certainly will need a means to hold the PCB still while soldering. I do not recommend an expensive soldering tool, but rather q cheap one where you can file the tip to the proper shape. It will work best to solder the two attachment tabs in place first, which can then have the five connections kept correctly aligned while doing the soldering. Really, with all of that empty space around the connections it will not be a bad task.