Mine 1st Welcome thread and asking for help

Formingus

Joined Nov 19, 2014
Hi to all.
Hope i am welcome in this community?
Been member on some other forums but unfortunately didn't get what i search for (team play or leak of help)
Hope that at last this will be what i am searching for according to activity, views and replays on threads.

I want to mention that i am good skilled on Mobile (flashing - unlocking) and PC software diagnose repair with over 10 years but non skilled on PCB Repair. I am not totally beginner on PCB Repair , so maybe this will make things easier to get help from you guys. Those was few words about me.

Going strict to the subject (will post screenshots so members can easy understand what i am looking for)
Don't say buy a new one. I Know its cheap part but point is that i want to learn :)

I Have Canon 10D charger with Input 110v-240v AC50/60Hz and Output 8.4V DC 1.2A
Voltage with connected cord on PCB is 235V so obviously current, cord and connector on board seems to be ok. But when i measure battery output connector it gives me 0.00V and sometimes 0.06V. I will avoid talking of mine opinion where can be problem (power reductor or what ever) because as i say i am beginner for diagnosing those problems. So Please check attached photos and tell me which part's or should i check.
If somehow i make post in wrong section kindly asking moderators to move it at right section

Thank you in Advance

Attachments

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
one of the first things in troble shooting is to visually look for anything unusual, the black cylinders are electrolytic caps, they tend to go bad often, look for bulges in the top or signs of something leaking out the bottom. look for burnt or cracked parts, discolored qareas of the pc board, and such.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
find some scrap pc boards to practiced your soldering on, it takes a steady hand and a clean tip on your iron to solder properly. practice with solderwick or a a solder sucker removing parts without trashing the board.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Do you have a proper battery for this? It's possible that the charger shuts off the output until/unless it sees a voltage on the output pins, indicating a battery has been connected with the right polarity.

Formingus

Joined Nov 19, 2014
Did you test the bridge rectifier output?
Thas't why i post images , not to much familiar with those sentences , it will be highly appreciated if you tell me how

New thing , after long time on current when i touch Capacitors on picture i get whoopie by current (is normal to get hit by current on capacitor ? see picture its 22hf 400v)

Attachments

Formingus

Joined Nov 19, 2014
one of the first things in troble shooting is to visually look for anything unusual, the black cylinders are electrolytic caps, they tend to go bad often, look for bulges in the top or signs of something leaking out the bottom. look for burnt or cracked parts, discolored qareas of the pc board, and such.
Friend by black cylinders you mean capacitors ?

Formingus

Joined Nov 19, 2014
find some scrap pc boards to practiced your soldering on, it takes a steady hand and a clean tip on your iron to solder properly. practice with solderwick or a a solder sucker removing parts without trashing the board.
In this point i have good skills, so i can solder even mm parts , remove anything and so one, Problem is what to remove , replace

Thank you

Formingus

Joined Nov 19, 2014
Do you have a proper battery for this? It's possible that the charger shuts off the output until/unless it sees a voltage on the output pins, indicating a battery has been connected with the right polarity.
Yes , battery seems to be ok , when i bought camera i get full set , bag , optical, 2x batteries and so on. Tested with both batteries same thing

Thank you

Last edited:

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014
Thas't why i post images , not to much familiar with those sentences , it will be highly appreciated if you tell me how

New thing , after long time on current when i touch Capacitors on picture i get whoopie by current (is normal to get hit by current on capacitor ? see picture its 22hf 400v)
Rectifier bridges are are small IC with 4 pins(2 on left and right).

Formingus

Joined Nov 19, 2014
The only rectifier on this board is this one and its says br1
But the problem is i cant read with microscope either number so i dont know his values

Now the hard part :( . Please can you advice how to check ? With power cord connected ? Multimeter selection ?

Attachments

Formingus

Joined Nov 19, 2014
Is possible all capacitors to be burned out? Desoldered from pcb measure 4 of them , no one gives values
Will check with another multimeter too , but is possible all of them to be burned ? and if is possible who can be reason ? BTW They look healthy

b1u3sf4n09

Joined May 23, 2014
Is possible all capacitors to be burned out? Desoldered from pcb measure 4 of them , no one gives values
Will check with another multimeter too , but is possible all of them to be burned ? and if is possible who can be reason ? BTW They look healthy
Which capacitors are you measuring and what are their values? How are you measuring them? Not all multimeters are capable of measuring polarized capacitors. For example, my MS8268 multimeter will not measure aluminum electrolytic capacitors, but it has no issue measuring ceramic or film capacitors. Also, make sure to check the range of the meter to ensure the capacitors in question are within this range.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
If you've already gone to the trouble of removing them from the PCB, I'd replace them with fresh ones. It will only be a few dollars, and will extend the life of the device. Capacitors grow old. Be careful to check the physical dimensions and lead spacing of the new replacements, in addition to the voltage and capacity ratings.