Milestone -- 100,000 threads!

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
AAC has reached another milestone. Sometime very recently (probably in the last 24 hours), we had our 100,000th thread (discussion) started.

Not long ago we had our 250,000th member join and it won't be too long before we have our 1 millionth post made.

Now, of course, these are just numbers that have no significance beyond being of interest to beings that think in base-10.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Idle curiosity: Any way to identify the 100,000 thread?
I'm afraid not. The internal system ID system also indexes deleted threads and threads in the Mod forum, which are invisible to the public. This thread has the ID 112056, if you look at the address bar.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Idle curiosity: Any way to identify the 100,000 thread?
The admins probably have access to query tools that could be used to do so.

Because there are so few threads, right now, above 100,000 it might be possible for members to figure it out by looking at the most recent postes, from all forums, in order and counting back.

But it would be cumbersome because you have to manually identify which posts are the first post in a new thread.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I'm afraid not. The internal system ID system also indexes deleted threads and threads in the Mod forum, which are invisible to the public. This thread has the ID 112056, if you look at the address bar.
Though we could get pretty close because we can take the thread ID for the most recent thread and subtract the number of threads in the public count and use that to identify the 100,000th thread. It might not get it exactly, but it would probably be close. I might give that a try out of curiosity.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Huh. Wonder how my method was off by 10 threads. I strongly believe your method identified the correct thread. I think I did the math right. My guess is that there are ten threads that are in a private forum, perhaps for testing, that are getting counted wrong or are indexed differently. These are the kinds of things that, if I had the necessary access to the database, I would be spending hours trying to figure out. Usually to no perceivable benefit, but at times you really learn something useful about the system and identify real issues in the process.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
When I was online last night I noticed the thread count was 99,999, and refreshed the page frequently until it changed to 100,000. I think the 100,000th thread is http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/what-are-these-circuits.112012/.
Actually, I think we are both wrong -- but you are almost certainly closer.

The stats do not update upon the start of every new thread. I just started a new thread and the thread count remained the same both before and after. So it appears the stats are updated periodically. If that's the case, you identified the thread that was started just prior to the stats update, which would have been a few threads past 100,000. But since my method, which suffered from the same problem only more so, identified a thread ten past the one you identified, the actually 100,000th thread is probably only a few (maybe just one) before the one you identified (and could even be the one you identified).

tjohnson

Joined Dec 23, 2014
When I saw that the thread count was 999,999, I was tempted to post the 100,000th mentioning this milestone. But then I thought no, it would be interesting to see who posted the 100,000th thread without being aware of it.

@wayneh: Did you see WBahn's calculations in this thread?