microprocessor programming book

oktopus

Joined Feb 11, 2007
Hi,

I am totally new to the field of microprocessor programming. - do you recommend any book, particularly designed for total amateurs?

kender

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I am totally new to the field of microprocessor programming. - do you recommend any book, particularly designed for total amateurs?
Did you actually mean "microcontroller programming"?
If so, I would recommend "Embedded C Programming and the Microchip PIC" by Barnett, Cox and O'Cull.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I have moved this to its own thread.

Do you have a microprocessor/microcontroller that you are looking at? And also what language are you intending to program with?

Dave

oktopus

Joined Feb 11, 2007
Thanks for the book!, I think i'll be buying it.
Not really, I am just starting this as a hobby. I am proficient in C and JAVA, i guess most microcontrollers work using the C language. What I need is something that gets me started, especially in terms of hardware as I am very green in the microelectronics field.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Not really, I am just starting this as a hobby. I am proficient in C and JAVA, i guess most microcontrollers work using the C language. What I need is something that gets me started, especially in terms of hardware as I am very green in the microelectronics field.
While you are still in the reasearch mode I would take a look at ATMEL's AVR series of microcontrollers.

Like Microchip's PIC series, it has a large base of reasonably priced programming tools (for example: the STK-500) and a free assembly language compiler (AVRSTUDIO4) and a free C-language IDE (WINAVR) that I have personally used and found to be very user friendly.

You can check out the information at the forum website www.avrfreaks.net and the manufacturer's website at www.atmel.com for more information. Example devices that can be programmed using the STK-500 board and a PC are the attiny2313, atmega8, atmega16, and many more. The STK-500 can be purchased at Digikey for $80 US along with a power module for around $20 US. All you need to do is download the free development software and you are ready to go.

Happy Programming,
hgmjr

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
A site I have recommended previously that may be of interest is http://www.voti.nl/swp/index_1.html - It provides a detailed coverage of getting into microcontrollers centering around the PIC. The principles will be similar for other devices that may be of interest to you.

Dave