Microchip MPlabX development hardware

Travm

Joined Aug 16, 2016
I've been playing with some Pic controllers and some custom boards I've made, and I've found I dislike being tied to my desktop.

Anyone here have a recommendation for a lightweight (size and cost) laptop/tablet that works good for microcontroller development?

I have an old (very) laptop running XUbuntu, that is great for reading datasheets, but when I fire up MPlabX and have a couple data sheets open it chokes (512mb ram). Its also heavy, approaching 10lbs, and has a 1hr battery life.

Love to hear what other people might use for stuff like this.

Travm

Joined Aug 16, 2016
Quiet pic users on this forum?
So far I'm loving the Chromebook. Running lubuntu and everything works. Still would love to hear what other people use. Mplabx Xpress is pretty slick, but the Java requirements and always online is tough.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Quiet pic users on this forum?
So far I'm loving the Chromebook. Running lubuntu and everything works. Still would love to hear what other people use. Mplabx Xpress is pretty slick, but the Java requirements and always online is tough.
I haven't used it yet - is it easy to save and reaches the code?

How much space does Microchip give you? Hopefully more than one firmware code.

Travm

Joined Aug 16, 2016
I haven't used it yet - is it easy to save and reaches the code?

How much space does Microchip give you? Hopefully more than one firmware code.
I didnt really get into using it. It really is "just like" the desktop program, at least in the first five minutes. The fact that I couldnt use MCC on the chromebook was a dealbreaker (due to the flash requirement).

I'm running GalliumOS 2.1 on my Acer Chromebook 11, and its pretty much ideal for development. Dropbox ties my desktop and laptop together, so I can work on files from either flawlessly. KiCad, Wings3d, MPlabX, all just work.