Micro SD to USB help.

Ace1911

Joined Jul 18, 2014
So I have an odd idea and I need some help figuring out the correct connections. I'm looking to create a micro SD to USB cable. The trick is I want the Micro SD to be the male end to a male USB. Any help would be amazing. I've searched the internet and come up dry.

Thank you.

Ace1911

Joined Jul 18, 2014
Not quite, what I'm trying to do is have a micro SD male end into a gopro and the male end of a usb go into an external drive. pretty much a bridge between the storage system.

bushrat

Joined Nov 29, 2014
What you need is a separate interface. Some devices will not recognize storage devices higher than rated.
For example, certain cameras will only recognize 16 gb sd cards but not 32 gb. Other cameras will recognize 32 gb but not 64 gb.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Not quite, what I'm trying to do is have a micro SD male end into a gopro and the male end of a usb go into an external drive. pretty much a bridge between the storage system.
You will need a converter IC like one of these, https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/products/interface/MAX14502.html , (Doesn't look like fun to try and hand fab on of those onto a USB connector head:eek:) to work as the interface bridge between the two plus that and the external HD will need some sort of power supply to drive it.

More importantly, why bother when you can get a TB capacity micro SD card for under $50 or less? o_O

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Unless I misunderstood your question - the gadget bushrat posted looks like the typical commercially available offering.

Last time I looked in the £ store, they had USB card readers that accept various cards. I didn't check whether that includes micro-SD - but the last micro-SD I bought came with an adaptor that fits standard SD slots.

bushrat

Joined Nov 29, 2014
Unless I misunderstood your question - the gadget bushrat posted looks like the typical commercially available offering.
I think what Ace wants to do is to record GoPro video onto hard drive, not SD card, and the only interface that can do it on is SD card. I think the idea is to take signal from SD card pins and put it on USB to record video on HD.

Ace1911

Joined Jul 18, 2014
Yes that is exactly what I am trying to do. I've found some Micro SD cables that are extension flat ribbon style, but i don't what the pin conversion would be, i cant seem to find any diagram online.

bushrat

Joined Nov 29, 2014
https://gopro.com/help/articles/Block/microSD-Card-Considerations
  • HERO3: Silver Edition Camera requires a Class 10 MicroSD card up to 64 GB.
  • HERO3: White Edition Camera requires a Class 10 MicroSD card up to 64 GB.
  • HD HERO2 Camera requires a Class 10 SD card up to 32 GB.
  • HD HERO Original & HD HERO 960 Cameras require a Class 4 SD card up to 32 GB.
I already mentioned this above...

SD cards work on 3.3v and some on 1.8V, USB is 5V. Besides, SD is smaller in size than HD.

As for pin conversion, just google "SD pinout" and "USB pinout"; or just buy SD USB adapter and solder the pins directly.