Memorex MVD4544 VCR/DVD Combo player

gisdude

Joined Oct 30, 2008
Good morning all,
My 3 yr old likes to break stuff. Well, she jammed a "Little Orphan Annie" dvd in the dvd player. I've been tinkering with it and removed the top of the dvd to remove the jammed one. Buuuuttttt, when I put in a dvd, I get the proverbial," no disc" status.

So, the motor seems to be working, (meaning it is spinning) but the the error keeps popping up. Do you think it could be the laser diode? I was looking at the dvd laser and it looks tough to get out.

I'd normally just purchase a nw one, but this is a combo vcr(because like a pack rat - I still have about 30 vhs tapes)/dvd. Plus, this sounds like a neat project to mess around with.

Thx,

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Good morning all,
My 3 yr old likes to break stuff. Well, she jammed a "Little Orphan Annie" dvd in the dvd player. I've been tinkering with it and removed the top of the dvd to remove the jammed one. Buuuuttttt, when I put in a dvd, I get the proverbial," no disc" status.

So, the motor seems to be working, (meaning it is spinning) but the the error keeps popping up. Do you think it could be the laser diode? I was looking at the dvd laser and it looks tough to get out.

I'd normally just purchase a nw one, but this is a combo vcr(because like a pack rat - I still have about 30 vhs tapes)/dvd. Plus, this sounds like a neat project to mess around with.

Thx,
The laser is mounted on a "sled" that slides along a pair of guide rods, the assembly incorporates a focussing unit that moves the lens assembly to/from the surface of the disc - its very fragile, a slight knock can bend the mountings.

You might be able to buy a replacement laser unit, but you'll need a few items of test gear to align it once fitted.

Might be worth checking for Youtube clips showing how its done before throwing any money at the problem.

There might be other sources of the set up procedure - it was published in Television and Consumer Electronics magazine that I used to get years ago, but I disposed of that collection when I finished with servicing.

Any easy way out is to post "wanted" on some of the free recycling groups like Freegle/Freecycle etc. You might get a replacement combo if you bide your time, but individual separates should be relatively easy.

You might get lucky and score a PVR with DVD drive alongside the disc, some types will allow you to burn a tape to DVD via the SCART input.

gisdude

Joined Oct 30, 2008
Thx, Ian.

" very fragile, a slight knock can bend the mountings."

My daughter almost certainly bent something on the sled but dvd's do move in and out pretty easily. I'm pretty much going to see if I can find this sled.