Megger

Treeman

Joined May 22, 2014
Ok I opened her up. Well made and tight fit. There is one cap 1500v 0.1uf - sounds expensive and two other items I have no clue on and 4k7 3 or 5w resistor. I have an old scope I have a small clue with but no cap meter. Any pointers how to proceed. I like Max's idea on the cap. Electrotherapy better than gin?

Attachments

Treeman

Joined May 22, 2014
You'd get more excitement charging up a 385V 560uF reservoir electrolytic - but you'd have to stand there winding the handle an awfull long time!
I'm thinking of tacking it to my recent exercise timer - to give the trainer a job to do. Now I kow that 500v is more than 2v I may change tack. What to do with 500v that's friendly?

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
This is an old Megger I still use for checking leakage & Microwave HV rectifiers. Some pics of what your meter should give, eg 500V dc on the terminals & a 1Meg resistor.MEGGER.JPG MEGGER 500V DC.JPG MEGGER. 1M res.JPG

Treeman

Joined May 22, 2014
There are two coils next to the cap. At least that's what I assume they are. Should there be continuity through these or are they some sort of inductor?

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Mine says 600 v ac/dc and china. Good enough ........
Its a long shot - but what's the Ohms per volt of you'r DMM?

*REALLY* cheap ones can be as low as 5000/per volt, anything decent should be *MUCH* higher.

Even so; a DMM will impose some load on the output of an insulation tester.

What resistance does the Megger read when you do that test.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Maybe a picture from a little further back so we can see a little more of the interconnections. Can you draw a schematic of the connections?

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
Ours has a switch on the side marked "discharge" does yours have something similar to that? It would explain the low voltage...