Measuring Current using Current transformer

Qual

Joined Aug 5, 2016
Hi ,

i was trying measure current using Current Transformer but i see spikes at the output of transformer and cant see proper waveform on oscilloscope.

Attached is the waveform...

Any suggestion.

I want feed the voltage to Micro controller so that i can display same on LCD.

Attachments

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
That waveform is normal for some types of loads, especially capacitor input filters.

What is the source (AC power line?) and load (input to a power supply or electronic appliance?) for the circuit you are measuring?

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
I am going to take a guess: You are not using a transformer that was designed to measure current or you do not have an adequate shunt. What kind of transformer are you using? What are you using for a shunt? (Shunt: The resistor across the primary that sets the scale)

Qual

Joined Aug 5, 2016
I am going to take a guess: You are not using a transformer that was designed to measure current or you do not have an adequate shunt. What kind of transformer are you using? What are you using for a shunt? (Shunt: The resistor across the primary that sets the scale)

i am using 56100C current transformer from Murata for measuring current.

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
What kind of current are you measuring, would a ACS712 work for you, although they are in circuit type rather than transformer, comes with isolation build in.
The can be had for a couple of $'s on ebay with circuit, 5A, 20A and 30amp ranges.
Max.

Qual

Joined Aug 5, 2016
What kind of current are you measuring, would a ACS712 work for you, although they are in circuit type rather than transformer, comes with isolation build in.
The can be had for a couple of $'s on ebay with circuit, 5A, 20A and 30amp ranges.
Max.

i want to measure the AC and DC current. Want to build my own circuit.... so this attempt