Measuring a transmission line

Gibson486

Joined Jul 20, 2012
How does one make a measurement on a transmission line? If I use a scope, the impedance of the scope would change the load, correct? Is there a method that is used to ensure that you do not change the load?

Gibson486

Joined Jul 20, 2012
I am trying to measure the voltage at the output. The signal is a 230kHz sine wave. The cable is a dual conductor eco cable by Alphawire. The cable is approx 3 feet long.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I am trying to measure the voltage at the output. The signal is a 230kHz sine wave. The cable is a dual conductor eco cable by Alphawire. The cable is approx 3 feet long.
At that frequency cable length there won't be much in the way of attenuation. Are the "dual conductors" twisted or are they just side by side like speaker wire? The total delay for a round trip is likely to be less than 10 nsec. so the reflection situation will be hard to see on a scope. How were you planning to measure the voltage?

Gibson486

Joined Jul 20, 2012
It is twisted. I tried to check for a reflection situation, but yeah, you cannot see it. I took the simplest approach at first...put a scope probe at the output and measure away. The measurement I took had a drop, but I am guessing that it is due to the out impedance of the frequency generator in the input impedance of the scope and probes causing a divider?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
If I had to swag an impedance for twisted pair I'd choose 120 Ohms. Terminate it with a resistor between 60 and 120 Ohms on one end only and see what you get. The value is not that critical because the line is so short and you are simulating the characteristic impedance at both ends. Now take your measurement again.

EM Fields

Joined Jun 8, 2016
It is twisted. I tried to check for a reflection situation, but yeah, you cannot see it. I took the simplest approach at first...put a scope probe at the output and measure away. The measurement I took had a drop, but I am guessing that it is due to the out impedance of the frequency generator in the input impedance of the scope and probes causing a divider?
1. Alpha part number?
2. Signal generator output Z?
3. 'Scope probe input Z?