measurement of alternating current

munna007

Joined Jul 23, 2008
hello friends....i have a digital multimeter ....there is only option of measurement of direct current,but not for alternating current....

can wemeasure alternating current by connecting this multimeter in series with range of direct current on multimeter....????

or i hav listened clamp meter is used for this purpose....anybdy hav idea of clampmeter????:)

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
AC is an RMS value, a diode bridge probably wouldn't do it. Meters are pretty cheap though, wouldn't it be easier to buy a DVM with an AC Ampmeter?

A clamp meter will measure AC current, and has a lot of desirable characteristics. The big one is not having to break the circuit to take the measurement, which can be dangerous with high voltage circuits. You have to have a SINGLE wire of the circuit available however to use one. My big use in the past is to identify dead heaters in a bank, this is where they are really useful.

Do you have a clamp meter, or are you thinking of getting one? The new DVM is a lot cheaper, and probably more available.

munna007

Joined Jul 23, 2008
AC is an RMS value, a diode bridge probably wouldn't do it. Meters are pretty cheap though, wouldn't it be easier to buy a DVM with an AC Ampmeter?

A clamp meter will measure AC current, and has a lot of desirable characteristics. The big one is not having to break the circuit to take the measurement, which can be dangerous with high voltage circuits. You have to have a SINGLE wire of the circuit available however to use one. My big use in the past is to identify dead heaters in a bank, this is where they are really useful.

Do you have a clamp meter, or are you thinking of getting one? The new DVM is a lot cheaper, and probably more available.
thanks a lot sir......
if we do what i hav asked in question what will happen....whther dm will burn out or not????

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
As long as the current is DC, which a bridge will convert it to, it will not burn out. The readings won't be very close though.