MCCB motorized modification

meowsoft

Joined Feb 27, 2021
I plan to use Schneider MCCB with rotary handle (long shaft version), than use stepper motor to operate MCCB automatically
and use MCCB auxiliary contact to detect open, closed, or tripped position; stepper motor is controlled by PLC
also stepper motor is not position-locked when power off (if not, it can caused damaged to MCCB nor stepper motor, ex. if MCCB is tripped but locked in closed position by stepper motor)
Problem is, how can I find right motor torque for this task ?,
and how can I prevent such scenario when MCCB is going to be closed by stepper motor (after closed or tripped), but it's instantly tripped after closed by stepper motor, do you think there is any way to prevent this ?,
Do you think this is good idea ?
I use EZC250 series with EZEROTE rotary handle and Compact NSXm series with LV426935 rotary handle
There is no official motorized available from Schneider

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I would go about this using the suggestion of Max in post #2. It appears the shaft is square, you should be able to adapt a torque wrench to the shaft and measure the required torque. Using the stepper motor and knowing the torque you may want to use a gear reducer to slow the stepper motor.

Ron

meowsoft

Joined Feb 27, 2021
I would go about this using the suggestion of Max in post #2. It appears the shaft is square, you should be able to adapt a torque wrench to the shaft and measure the required torque. Using the stepper motor and knowing the torque you may want to use a gear reducer to slow the stepper motor.

Ron
That's good idea... but how can I prevent damaged when MCCB is closed by motor and then instantly tripped ?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
It would be much safer to contact the manufacturer of the circuit breaker and learn what they say about remote operation of circuit breakers. In almost every case, when a circuit breaker trips, there is a reason. And consider that while there are quite a few remote-trip options offered I am not aware of a remote reset option being offered. So there are undoubtedly good reasons beyond what I can see.
If the breaker trips often enough that a remote reset is desired then it is quite possible that there is a problem elsewhere.

meowsoft

Joined Feb 27, 2021
It would be much safer to contact the manufacturer of the circuit breaker and learn what they say about remote operation of circuit breakers. In almost every case, when a circuit breaker trips, there is a reason. And consider that while there are quite a few remote-trip options offered I am not aware of a remote reset option being offered. So there are undoubtedly good reasons beyond what I can see.
If the breaker trips often enough that a remote reset is desired then it is quite possible that there is a problem elsewhere.
Problem is manufacturer isn't provide remote control option... it's entry-level series and mid-level series...

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
It would be much safer to contact the manufacturer of the circuit breaker and learn what they say about remote operation of circuit breakers.
Apparently the OP is monitoring the aux contact and status via a PLC. ;)

use MCCB auxiliary contact to detect open, closed, or tripped position; stepper motor is controlled by PLC.
Do you think this is good idea ?
I would program the PLC to allow say one reset after trip incidence, then alarm if re-trips instantly.

meowsoft

Joined Feb 27, 2021

I would program the PLC to allow say one reset after trip incidence, then alarm if re-trips instantly.
True, I am use aux contact through dry contact to PLC, for monitoring closed, open, and tripped status...

meowsoft

Joined Feb 27, 2021

Yes, I can program the PLC to avoid closing automatically if MCCB if tripped before, and show alarm in software
But, if previously MCCB is opened, then I use motor to close MCCB but instantly tripped, I think it can damaged MCCB nor motor, and same problem occur if operator closed MCCB again after tripped without fix the problems, do you think is there any way to fix this ?

meowsoft

Joined Feb 27, 2021
Most MCCB will not allow a full reset if fault occurs, IOW, the act of resetting it will not complete the contact closures.
I see... I was try it with MCB, I forced MCB manually to close when tripping continuously... I can forced MCB toggle to closed position manually, but internal contact is still in open position... but is there is also apply to MCCB ?, I can try it but only with EZC versions (I have collected them with arc chute damaged, just for collection :))... but I need to bought NSXm series to try, and is has discontinued so I will try to find it (It's previous NSXm version before this new version)...