MC34063A chip advice

airplane100000

Joined Aug 2, 2016
I am designing a primitive flyback converter with no feedback. I was considering to accomplish the switching by means of a PIC and a MOSFET.
I then stumbled along this chip: MC34063A , which (correct me if I'm mistaken) does the same thing. It is programmed with this tool.
Is it correct to say that for a given frequency and duty cycle, it outputs the given voltage and current, then opens the "switch"?
If so it seems to meet the bill, the only problem is that I need a low frequency, circa 100hz. According to the spec its min. frequency is 24khz.
I then stumbled along this "variant", which claims to have a min. of 100hz: KA34063A.

Does this solve my problem? If not, is there a better way to do this (looking for low cost and simplicity)
Any response is appreciated

Last edited:

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
It may not completely solve your problem but it is a great start (you still need to find the other parts!).

I have used the KA34063 and the tool to which you linked for both flyback and boost converters and experienced no problems.

Cosider the preceeding to be an endorsement.

airplane100000

Joined Aug 2, 2016
It may not completely solve your problem but it is a great start (you still need to find the other parts!).

I have used the KA34063 and the tool to which you linked for both flyback and boost converters and experienced no problems.

Cosider the preceeding to be an endorsement.
Wait but I was just thinking, this chip actually can't be used to charge the primary of the transformer right? Being that it is a voltage regulator, its output voltage will always be what it is programmed to be, and will therefor not fall below that value. It cannot replace the MOSFET, only drive the MOSFET.

Is that correct to say?

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
The circuit below is from the Motorola application note. Notice that the feedback is taken from the output. (A transformer or an simple inductor may be used.) The output voltage of the circuit will be that which it is set by the resistors connected to pin 5. The timing of the primary on the drive is automatically adjusted to maintain that voltage.

upload_2016-10-3_10-39-44.png

Attachments

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Wait but I was just thinking, this chip actually can't be used to charge the primary of the transformer right? Being that it is a voltage regulator, its output voltage will always be what it is programmed to be, and will therefor not fall below that value. It cannot replace the MOSFET, only drive the MOSFET.

Is that correct to say?
First of all at 100 Hz there is not much energy transfered. If you had a large enough inductor, yes, but typically its in the 100uH range.

This IC has a small transistor built in which is good for small currents. But youd see it turns hot easily because its not a very efficient IC. Good for 100mA or so.

With a MOSFET and suitable parts you can get better efficiency.