MC2100ELS IGBT keeps getting shorted [Treadmill]

VBIT

Joined Oct 25, 2007
Hi,
My treadmill have MC2100ELS controller board, about a month ago its keep blowing fuse. After checking I found IGBT (G4PC40K) was shorted. I replace IGBT, when I start treadmill was working fine without load, but once I put load on it IGBT short again and blow fuse gain.

Any idea / suggestion?
Is it worth time and effort? What are the chances? Or just buy new controller board?
What is simple cheapest DC motor speed controller I can use in this scenario?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
For the treadmill, the board is a dedicated unit, so subbing it is pretty much out.
I would check any causes of friction, belt etc.
Max.

VBIT

Joined Oct 25, 2007
Thanks Max,
Belt friction looks OK to me, is it possible that some other component also damage with IGBT which I didn't replace?

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
Just out of interest, have you checked the electrolytic capacitors?
As they go low value, and high ESR, the switching spikes can run riot and pop all sorts of things.
When in doubt, replace them.

HeartRob

Joined Jun 10, 2021
How would one go about troubleshooting this component (IR S2127) on this board? My board keeps burning the IGBT when load increases despite the large capacitors seeming to be fine and using a replacement motor, so I suspect there is a problem with this current driver chip. Perhaps it is the case that when this part fails then the IGBT will not work at all?

MihaiBrB

Joined Mar 19, 2022
How would one go about troubleshooting this component (IR S2127) on this board? My board keeps burning the IGBT when load increases despite the large capacitors seeming to be fine and using a replacement motor, so I suspect there is a problem with this current driver chip. Perhaps it is the case that when this part fails then the IGBT will not work at all?
hey bro.did you fix your board ? have the same problem