MBLAB IDE 8.40 PICKit3 Clone Download Firmware .SAP file

TQFP44

Joined Sep 3, 2016
Try different SW , MPLAB 8.92, or MPLABX, or IPE or the standalone PK3 SW , put a ferrite core on the USB cable .

TQFP44

Joined Sep 3, 2016
How are you achieving the fw load... PK3 connected and selected as programmer.....MPLAB8.xx ---> programmer ---> settings --->Configuration---Manual Download ---> open PK3FW_012890.jam as an example

stb

Joined Apr 11, 2016
I'm a Pic newbee too, so this may not help but ...

There is an issue with the PICKkit3 clone that makes programming chips not work (at least on a certain dev board) unless you set the IDE software to power it at 4.5v rather than 5v.

I know that my clone downloaded new FW OK, I think I had set the 4.5v by that stage. So might be worth a try.

(I've been following the PIC tutorials by Julian Ilett on Youtube, one of those covered the issue.)

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Thank you.

It's the file extension in PICKit 3 directory in 8.40

I don't know. I have been working with MPLAB for years and don't recall an SAP file. I just downloaded 8.92 from the archive to refresh my memory and I don't see anything regarding a SAP file. The project files for MPLAB is MCW.

Last edited:

PICNewbee

Joined Mar 31, 2017
"How are you achieving the fw load"

We've switched over to standalone PICKit 3 programing software.

"I had set the 4.5v by that stage"

Thanks,. We'll try that.

"I have been working with MPLAB"

Well if you only get a programmer once. It downloads latest firmware and 'that's that'.

TQFP44

Joined Sep 3, 2016
It downloads latest firmware and 'that's that'.
The standalone PK3 fw probably not the latest > [ 1-44-26 ] there are lots of versions out there , unfortunately not all are compatible with all Microchip IDE software, The advantage of working with MPLAB(X) is being able to edit / build and run from a single program. PK3 will need to load PIC device files at some stage. Your 'clone' probably had a old fw version ? , what version has it now got ? . We were all newbee at one time it takes patience and a degree of logic to succeed but very rewarding ,I am still learning 18 Years on... I am a big believer in walking before you run, what PIC device / board / code . do you plan to use, The tutorial is a good route as per stb post ( I'm finding your posts a little confusing )

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
A bit of unsolicited advice. When you're a newbie, listen! And don't argue with the experts. They may eventually decide to stop responding. As Heinlein once wrote, "Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig."

I am qualified to make thus comment, because when I first joined a forum, I was the pig. Fortunately, in my first thread I learned not to argue with the experts.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
A bit of unsolicited advice. When you're a newbie, listen! And don't argue with the experts. They may eventually decide to stop responding. As Heinlein once wrote, "Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig."

I am qualified to make thus comment, because when I first joined a forum, I was the pig. Fortunately, in my first thread I learned not to argue with the experts.

I'd just be happy if the TS made even the least bit of sense.

PICNewbee

Joined Mar 31, 2017
"Your 'clone' probably had a old fw version ? , what version has it now got ?"

I don't have it in front of me.

Am assisting third party here.

Will get it and continue this if need be.

Thanks!

PICNewbee

Joined Mar 31, 2017
In MPLAB X IDE it fails self test.

PICKit 3 4 11 17.png

In MPLAB X IDE 8.92.

It autodetected PICKit 3 and started dowloading.

Choked at downloading at 'Downloading A... file"

Will post screenshot.

In PICKit 3 software same thing choked at "Downloading A... file".

How do we fix this please?

TQFP44

Joined Sep 3, 2016
PICnew..... Supporting someone at second hand is going to be nigh on impossible given that (A) the PK3 is a 'Fake' and (B) answers to posted questions seem to be in short supply , This is a technical forum, not facebook, screen shots are great if relevant , I would suggest your accomplice start with a PIC tutorial....

PS it looks as if the PK3 is actually working ....

PICNewbee

Joined Mar 31, 2017
"Easy. Buy a real pic kit 3"

That's a 'non sequitar'.

It does not follow what preceded it.

I was asking how to get this programmer working.

"accomplice".

I don't appreciate that at all.

I am not here to have someone vent their frustrations on me.

Got programmer working.

It was more a case of just connecting and trying different settings.