Maximum power transfer question

electroboc

Joined Nov 17, 2011
Any body able to give me a hand with this question?

A. The value of R and X that will result in maximum power to be transfered across terminals A and B?

B. The value of Maximum power?

can anyone give me any direction??

Many thanks

Attachments

jimkeith

Joined Oct 26, 2011
My guess is that if you isolate the load and determine the thevenin Zequiv in rectangular form, you will have the max transfer of power when R and X are equal to these values as L and C will series resonate.

Happy Thanksgiving Day, if you live in the US

Last edited:

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
Another perspective:

The load would need to be the complex conjugate of Zequiv.

So if Zequiv=A+jB then the required load for MPT would be Zload=A-jB.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Any body able to give me a hand with this question?

A. The value of R and X that will result in maximum power to be transfered across terminals A and B?

B. The value of Maximum power?

can anyone give me any direction??

Many thanks
I believe maximum power transfer always occurs when source impedance matches load impedance. That's why antennas use impedance matching transformers to match the 75 Ohm transmission line.

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
I believe maximum power transfer always occurs when source impedance matches load impedance. That's why antennas use impedance matching transformers to match the 75 Ohm transmission line.
That's true when the load and source impedances are purely resistive.

When there are complex reactive terms involved then the MPT occurs when you have complex conjugate matching between the source and load.

electroboc

Joined Nov 17, 2011
one question i have, i have removed the load and worked out the short circuit voltage and have 50 volts.

when you work out the impedance i am struggling on whether just product over sum

5x5 over 5+5 or do i need to incorporate the j10ohm as well due to the phase angle?