MAX20029ATIA/V+ Schematic Review

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
Looks good. I have never used this part, I just followed the datasheet. I have two comments:
1. Shouldn't L140 be in series with LX1?
2. Remember that output caps must be ceramic.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If this is just meant to be Chassis/power reference, then there is a symbol for it.
Using the Earth ground symbol indiscriminately causes confusion. :(

1706374093604.png

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
I will change the symbol.
Frankly speaking, Hoyyoth, I've done the same thing many times. When you are the only one using the schematic, the symbol you use doesn't matter. You know what it means.
Moreover, ground is somewhat nebulous in electronics. Circuitboard ground often gets connected ultimately to Earth, usually through chassis ground and the power cord. Local ground symbols are useful for manufacturing and assembly, but electrically they are often common (ideally).
EDIT: If you are going to distribute the schematic to anyone else, by all means follow standards. And get in the habit of using the correct symbol, even if it is only for your eyes.

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
In most of the designs what I have seen is, the below symbol is used for representing ground
That is the crux of the problem, it is being used to describe a function it was not intended for by definition.
It's official definition is Earth Ground.
All the Electronic schematic capture programs of any repute uses the terms as they are defined, e.g. KiCad etc defines it as 'Earth' ! ;)

Dr B Archambault's cartoon says it all.

Attachments