Mathmatics in electronics

AcousticBruce

Joined Nov 17, 2008
I am pretty new to the deep study of electronics and I find a lot of people complaining about math. They say things like this book is great! it is low on math. What I keep finding is project books that dont show ANY math. Or text books that are all math and no practicality.

I am looking for the bridge that can help me keep going strong. The truth is I never had a Trig Calc or Physics class, but I thoroughly enjoy learning math. I am not afraid of it. I just learned the unit circle the other day and memorized it :)

I think maybe I need a really good lab manual that shows good test with function generator and oscilloscope. I am in the chapter of capacitance and reactance Xc and really I am in desperate need of some actual testing and lab work.

I cant wait for the day that I can understand the math behind a astable multivibrator and calculate one for myself.

I am using
-Grob Basic Electronics (8th edition)
-Malvino Electronic Principals (6th edition) (I wanted to start this after I got all the basics of caps resisters series and parallel calculating)

I have a
-25Mhz Digital 2 channel scope
-0.2 to 2MHz Function Generator
-Power Supply with 3.3 +-5 and +-12
-DMM Fluke 83 III
-Breadboard and lots of parts and wires.

where are the good labs?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I've heard that Forrest Mimms has books at Radio Shack with lots of circuits, and enough mistakes to keep you learning! or you could look for book titles like, "50 easy electronics projects" or, "Guitar effects".

My workbench is about the same as yours (and a couple of current meters). This after 40 years of experience. You have what you need to stay learning for a long time.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Math can be a pit but I remember something from a book I read as a kid that made me keep going. ;)
Take you time understanding the physical nature of electronics as in building simple to more complex circuits. No matter how advanced you become in the field there is a simple pleasure in just soldering connections perfectly.

Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is not fully human. At best he is a tolerable subhuman who has learned to wear shoes, bathe and not make messes in the house.
--Lazarus Long, "Time Enough for Love", (Robert A. Heinlein)