Material in the core of radial solar cells?

sambuddhamajumder

Joined Nov 6, 2020
I am simulating a radial p+AlGaAs-pGaAs- n+GaAs Solar cell.
AlGaAs has the wider band gap.
I want to know if and how it matters whether tha AlGaAs is places in the core or outer layer of the radial/coaxial solar cell.

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
Hello there
:)
AlGaAs is used for the p type top segment for axial junctions and the p type outer shell for radial junctions. The AlGaAs not only serves as passivation layers for GaAs nanowires but also confines the optical generation in the active regions, reducing the recombination loss in heavily doped regions and the minority carrier recombination at the top contact. The results show that the conversion efficiency of GaAs nanowires can be greatly enhanced by using AlGaAs for the p segment instead of GaAs. A maximum efficiency enhancement of 8.42% has been achieved in this study. And for axial nanowire, by using AlGaAs for the top p segment, a relatively long top segment can be employed without degenerating device performance, which could facilitate the fabrication and contacting of nanowire array solar cells. While for radial nanowires, AlGaAs/GaAs nanowires show better tolerance to p-shell thickness and surface condition

sambuddhamajumder

Joined Nov 6, 2020
Thank you for your reply. I am really grateful.
I am planning to work with radial solar cell. With pAlGaAs and n GaAs
So I should use the AlGaAs as the outer layer and GaAs as the core.
Can I keep the doping type same like AlgaAs as p type And GaAs as n?
It will be great if you could help me ?

sambuddhamajumder

Joined Nov 6, 2020
Hello there
:)
AlGaAs is used for the p type top segment for axial junctions and the p type outer shell for radial junctions. The AlGaAs not only serves as passivation layers for GaAs nanowires but also confines the optical generation in the active regions, reducing the recombination loss in heavily doped regions and the minority carrier recombination at the top contact. The results show that the conversion efficiency of GaAs nanowires can be greatly enhanced by using AlGaAs for the p segment instead of GaAs. A maximum efficiency enhancement of 8.42% has been achieved in this study. And for axial nanowire, by using AlGaAs for the top p segment, a relatively long top segment can be employed without degenerating device performance, which could facilitate the fabrication and contacting of nanowire array solar cells. While for radial nanowires, AlGaAs/GaAs nanowires show better tolerance to p-shell thickness and surface condition

Thank you for your reply. I am really grateful.
I am planning to work with radial solar cell. With pAlGaAs and n GaAs
So I should use the AlGaAs as the outer layer and GaAs as the core.
Can I keep the doping type same like AlgaAs as p type And GaAs as n?
It will be great if you could help me ?