matching PNP saturation current with data sheet

yef smith

Joined Aug 2, 2020
Hello given the situation below, i see that Ve>Vb and Vc>Vb so i assume its in saturation.
Given the attached datasheet,how do i know that my PNP is sutrated from the currents in the bjt?
Thanks.

1719064945579.png

1719064710917.png

Attachments

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Given the attached datasheet
That curve isn't for saturation mode. Vce will be low when the transistor is saturated.
how do i know that my PNP is sutrated from the currents in the bjt?
If you go by currents, it's when further increases in base current don't result in corresponding increases in collector current.

Saturation mode is defined as when the collector base junction becomes forward biased.

Last edited:

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
If I was trying to get to the graph you showed in post #1, I would use this circuit. I1 is a current source and will force the base current you see. 100uA or 200uA or ....
Now measure the C-E voltage and the C current.
1719067961976.png

yef smith

Joined Aug 2, 2020
Hello ronsimpson, I dont like doing simulations with current sources because ia m thinking with PCB logic.
In the lab i have voltage sources.
Could you make a voltage source interpretaion of the circuit?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
You need to go back and review your voltage source/current source equivalents. Any problem you can solve with a voltage source has an equivalent solution with current source. LTspice may actually do that for you in some cases to improve the simulation.

To get saturation you need to force a situation where Ie is approximately 10 times Ib. You are not there yet. Your ratio is 24.8 ma / 758µA = 31.67
To get closer, set V1 to 4.2 Volts and reduce R4.

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
It is not good to force a voltage on the B-E junction of a transistor. The graph in the data sheet does not have a line for 0.70V on the B-E. It has lines for Base current. Transistors respond to current not voltage.
Use a voltage source and resistor to set the base current.

Last edited: