Mars

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
How many day will It take a plasmas rocket to reach Mars?
It takes between 12 and 13 days. If you disagree, it's because you are not familiar with my new plasma rocket design which employs a Stanley Miyers V1C. What? You don't understand? I guess you don't have an open mind. ;)

OK, the real answer is about 40 days. Sounds like a biblical trip to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
The time reported on Nova was closer to 45 days, as I recall. It was not a number I paid much attention to, but it was a serious estimate.

John

Oops: Sorry steveb, I missed your real answer.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Did nasa Invent the rocket? Was it the guy that disapeared in the rockies after
breaking all the records around the world Fose.

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I don't think so. "Plasma rockets" have been talked about for a long time, even going back to before nuclear rockets.

The astronaut/physicist on the show last night was Dr. Franklin Chang-Diaz from Costa Rica and USA (MIT). He gave his calculation and has laboratories in both countries looking at the project. He has a prototype scheduled for a test in space.

John

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
If the membership has no knowledge,I will have to go to google.
Which came first aac or google,or am I waiting for someone to come back from google. Thanks

Last edited:

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
He tied the the number of space flight's @ 13.Exlpain the temperature ranges for both type
engine's? Jump in guys ,loosewire can't carry a conservation. It seem Plasma he should not know the
word or temp. Southern boys should keep there place,no opinion,no public speaking and not
holding any positions.Not know to how ride a horse,no less own a horse.That mid west and west.
And least be a communicator among holders of high position's.

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Bill,
The actual name of the series on PBS is "Nova scienceNow" (notice the odd capitalization).

The listing for this particular episode read in part, "Drugs that may aid children with muscular dystrophy; the northern lights. Also: paleontologist..."

It is being re-run several times today and tomorrow in the Cleveland area. So, I suspect Texas stations are carrying it too. It has a lot of glitz, but is still better than the alternatives. Unless, of course, SmackDown, Wife Swap, or Survivor-Obama are on. :D

John

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
What are the temperature range's of plamas gas and mile's per minute in space.
Engine it's only in the testing stage.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I don't think mile's per minute is a valid measurement. Think Neutons, or units of weight (mass?) of thrust. If it is an ion engine it will be huge, since it is basically an electric device. Fuel mass is more than valuable, it determines what a rocket engine can do.

RiJoRI

Joined Aug 15, 2007
How many day' s will It take a plasmas rocket to reach Mars?
Depends on the acceleration. R.A. Heinlein worked it out long before PCs. If I recollect correct, it would take 7 days with constant acceleration at 1g.

The motive force is, basically immaterial. Plasma rocket, ion rocket, chemical rocket, or Scotty spitting out the back, it doesn't matter, as long as the Δv is 1g.

--Rich

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Depends on the acceleration. R.A. Heinlein worked it out long before PCs. If I recollect correct, it would take 7 days with constant acceleration at 1g. The motive force is, basically immaterial. Plasma rocket, ion rocket, chemical rocket, or Scotty spitting out the back, it doesn't matter, as long as the Δv is 1g. --Rich
I think your numbers are a bit off, 1G is a heck of a lot of acceleration. I remember seeing a chart many tens of orbits ago that went through that. However, since 1G is 32ft/sec², it is easy nuff to calculate if you know calculus. I used to know it, but it has been too long. Figure 3½ days at 1G, to accelerate, and the same to decelerate, and look at the distance. Of course, this is a major oversimplification since we're talking orbital mechanics, but it gets the idea across. An ion engine would be doing excellent to produce 0.001G of acceleration (and that number is high). However, any acceleration that is continuous and of long duration adds up fast.