Mapping out Vcc on a smartphone

AaronHammock

Joined Dec 18, 2018
I am new to electronics and am trying to trace down the different paths like Vcc, Vbatt, etc.. I would also like to be able to find the lines for I2C(Vbus) if possible.. I am willing to learn any technique nessary to get the job done.. Please forgive me if I have my terminology wrong..

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Without a schematic. Lots of luck. And being new to electronics, with multi layer boards and surface mount components I would say your task is near impossible./

Why would you want to do this? Your time would be far bettter spent studying basic theroy and circuit design.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!

There are many methods.
  1. Voltmeter
  2. Oscilloscope
  3. Ohm meter (on unpowered circuitry)
  4. Continuity checker (on unpowered circuitry)
  5. Visual (hard to do on boards with more than 2 layers)
Tracing smartphones is probably an exercise in futility. You can't repair them and they become obsolete quickly.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I am new to electronics and am trying to trace down the different paths like Vcc, Vbatt, etc.. I would also like to be able to find the lines for I2C(Vbus) if possible.. I am willing to learn any technique nessary to get the job done.. Please forgive me if I have my terminology wrong..
I doubt there's a single Vcc (or, more likely, Vdd) in a modern phone.

Even in my comparatively simple designs, I usually have multiple power lines each with a different voltage.