MAP file

Kittu20

Joined Oct 12, 2022
Do you analyze the map file in Embedded software development ( C language), If yes, what are case when it's useful. What are the important aspects you examine in the map file?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
My answer is a resounding No.
You are making a big assumption that there is a map file.
Most of the work I do with embedded systems is bare bones MCU with no OS and no mass storage. Hence there is no map file. When I need a mass storage device such as a flash memory card, I write directly to the card without using any map file.

In the few cases when I do have to access data via the OS, there is no need to access the map file. I let the OS do its thing.

Edit: Correction, I am referring here to the FAT and not map file.

Kittu20

Joined Oct 12, 2022

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
How do you know how much memory is being used by code and data.

How do you Identify where different code and data sections are placed in memory?
Sorry. I misinterpreted what you refer to as the map file. In my response above I was thinking of the FAT (file allocation table).

The code and data map file is generated by the linker in the IDE. This will tell you where and how much space is assigned to code and data. This table is listed with the function and data names so that it is very clear where the code and data is located.