Managing computer folder[SOLVED]

Pushkar1

Joined Apr 5, 2021
How do you organize files and folders in your computer?

We all store personal data hardware and programming documents on computer.

Good file names provide useful clues to the content, status and version of a file, uniquely identify a file and help in classifying and sorting files.

How do you name folder and file professionally for embedded projects, study material, circuits , coding?

Last edited:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
How do you organize files and folders in your computer?

We all store personal data hardware and programming documents on computer.

Good file names provide useful clues to the content, status and version of a file, uniquely identify a file and help in classifying and sorting files.

How do you name folder and file professionally for embedded projects, study material, circuits , coding?
Easy - choose whatever works for you.

Do you put your socks in the top drawer and underwear in the second drawer or vice versa?
Or do you put everything in one drawer?

Pushkar1

Joined Apr 5, 2021
Easy - choose whatever works for you.
@MrChips Thank you

I have data sheet of many components. Study material of atleast three, schematic for PSU, many PCB design project. microcontroller, 8051, PIC, ARM, ESP. material of C programming. Software Complier for different micro

The way I organize I think it can be organized in a better way. Please give me advice How to organize all these ?

If you have to organize naming how would you do?

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Put all datasheets in one directory and use the search function to find what you need. You can even search text within documents - why do work and waste time when your computer can do it for you!

zophas

Joined Jul 16, 2021
A place for everything and everything in it's place. That works for me...until I get lazy. Then everything ends up in the Downloads folder. The worst place to be.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
@DickCappels schema is similar to what I use. Minor differences: I use hyphen “-“ as an element separator and underscore “_” as a space replacement. This means if there a hyphen (as in TO-92) I lose that. I could reform it to use emdash “—“ as an element separator, and might in the future.

Also keep in mind the order you put your elements in the name matters because of sorting. So decided on a good hierarchy that will create a default sort in the directory listing that is most useful to you.

Also, do not neglect the metadata that file systems allow you to add in Windows, OS X, and there are even some programs for Linux/UNIX that offer similar functionality. Tags/Comments/etc. Can be extremely useful in organizing files, particularly is you can’t fully manage the naming yourself.

Pushkar1

Joined Apr 5, 2021
Currently my naming folder structure is as follows

Local disk E

Books/Programming/8051/PIC/ARM/Datasheet

Books -> Electronics/Programming

Programming-> C/C++/Python
C-> Variable / Data Type / printf/scanf/ storage class/ operator/ array/ pointer / function/ structure/ union/ linked list/Queue

8051-> Hardware/ 8051 Projects-> LED/Switch Button/LCD/Motor/seven segment/sensor

PIC-> Hardware/ PIC Projects-> LED/Switch Button/LCD/Motor/seven segment/sensor

ARM-> Hardware/ ARM Projects Projects-> LED/Switch Button/LCD/Motor/seven segment/sensor

I think it can be arranged well, but I don't know in what order and at what place to put this folder.

Last edited:

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Currently my naming folder structure is as follows

Local disk E

Books/Programming/8051/PIC/ARM/Datasheet

Books -> Electronics/Programming

Programming-> C/C++/Python
C-> Variable / Data Type / printf/scanf/ storage class/ operator/ array/ pointer / function/ structure/ union/ linked list/Queue

8051-> Hardware/ 8051 Projects-> LED/Switch Button/LCD/Motor/seven segment/sensor

PIC-> Hardware/ PIC Projects-> LED/Switch Button/LCD/Motor/seven segment/sensor

ARM-> Hardware/ ARM Projects Projects-> LED/Switch Button/LCD/Motor/seven segment/sensor

I think it can be arranged well, but I don't know in what order and at what place to put this folder.
I think, if you are paralyzed by such a simple decision - especially a decision that can be changed with a simple "drag-and-drop" - you are heading for a disappointing career filled with performance reviews like "slow to make a decision", "indecisive", "interferes with other employees time to get advice on simple decisions" (and so on).

My big question, how do you decide which stall to use in public restrooms?

Pushkar1

Joined Apr 5, 2021
I think, if you are paralyzed by such a simple decision - especially a decision that can be changed with a simple "drag-and-drop" - you are heading for a disappointing career filled with performance reviews like "slow to make a decision", "indecisive", "interferes with other employees time to get advice on simple decisions" (and so on).

My big question, how do you decide which stall to use in public restrooms?
as I showed in #12 it's not hard to take decision I was just looking systematic approach for managing computer files folder & documents for embedded system
https://business.tutsplus.com/tutorials/how-to-organize-computer-files--cms-32191