Managing BOM and component availability

engr_david_ee

Joined Mar 10, 2023
A hardware design having more then 100 different components in the schematic and PCB design, how can we manage the bill of material (BOM) and the component availability in efficient manner. The cost of components can be changed, the lead time can be changed. Is there any tool that can help in managing the BOM ?

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Make design engineer and purchasing manager a combined post. That would be last time difficult-to-get components get designed in.

engr_david_ee

Joined Mar 10, 2023
The PCB deign tool which I am using has the possibility to generate BOM in which part numbers, quantities, part name and description are shown in addition to supplier part name.

How do we check in efficient way if the parts in BOM still available in enough quantity and the total price of all the parts ? One option is to check manually. This may take several hours. Do we have any quick mechanism ?

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
How do we check in efficient way if the parts in BOM still available in enough quantity and the total price of all the parts ? One option is to check manually. This may take several hours. Do we have any quick mechanism ?
hi engr,
If the product can support the cost, hire an experienced Expeditor.

Also remember the market that you are involved in, may require product/component traceability.

E

engr_david_ee

Joined Mar 10, 2023
Then it look like a proper job because it is all manual process to check each component availability. We can not setup once and automate the checking of components from supplies in accordance with BOM.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Then it look like a proper job because it is all manual process to check each component availability. We can not setup once and automate the checking of components from supplies in accordance with BOM.
If you have a corporate account with large parts companies like Mouser or similar housed they can setup component kits for you using a exported xls or csv BOM file from your design tool. They will send, at your request, a sheet back for component availability, pricing, etc for each item.

https://www.mouser.com/bom/

I do the ordering for prototypes.

First you need a decent exporter to CSV file format and good part numbers/info in the design program for each component.

For EAGLE I use this ULP BOM exporter. https://www.pcbway.com/blog/help_center/How_to_Generate_BOM_and_Centroid_File_in_Eagle_f0fa4189.html
1701272865038.png

With that you can upload the CSV file to your account for BOM component availability.

1701273127917.png

Jon Chandler

Joined Jun 12, 2008
Look at Octopart's online BOM manager. Octopart should be an early step of the design process, as they show the real-time stock status and part cost across most suppliers.

Then add components used to the BOM manager to keep track of the project. It shows you where components are available at what price based on the quantity of units to be built and warns of parts in short supply.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The assembly house we used offered to do this for us at a reasonable markup, but Parts & Vendors was good enough to manage parts procurement and kitting on our own and that is what we decided to do.

engr_david_ee

Joined Mar 10, 2023
Yes, I see that Octopart shows the price of the components in real time at different suppliers. Can we make an account at Octopart and then put all the components in the basket and run a component-availability and price check ?

I have used Mouser and Digikey to download the shopping list of components but when I come back after few weeks I need to add all the components again in the list and run the component-availability and price check. Can we make an account at their website using official company email address that keep the shopping list and we can add and remove components and run component-availability and price check ?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Yes, I see that Octopart shows the price of the components in real time at different suppliers. Can we make an account at Octopart and then put all the components in the basket and run a component-availability and price check ?

I have used Mouser and Digikey to download the shopping list of components but when I come back after few weeks I need to add all the components again in the list and run the component-availability and price check. Can we make an account at their website using official company email address that keep the shopping list and we can add and remove components and run component-availability and price check ?
You're again asking us questions you need to ask vendors.