Making and selling 12/24 V devices in EU

PZUFIC

Joined Jan 7, 2012
Hello,

I did some research and asked a few people about it but I'm confused.

I'm thinking of making and selling machine vision lights with supply voltage if 12 or 24 V DC.

If I want to sell I need to conform with CE. CE requiers LVD, but voltages used here are not covered by LVD. If I get it right if there is no power supply, that uses voltages covered by LVD, included and also not mentioned in the manual LVD is not needed.

Can someone with expereience give me the idea of what I actually need?

Thank you.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
LVD doesn’t apply, but EMC standards still do. So it can legally be “placed on the European market” it if complies with EMC.

However. . .
Laws such as Chapter 2 of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 require that the product be safe, and if anyone challenges you under that law that the product is dangerous, then you damn well need to be able to prove that it is. Compliance with a standard is therefore your “get out of jail card” (quite literally).
Your product is a luminaire, and the European standard for Luminaires is EN60598. The “scope” section says:
“Each part of IEC 60598-2 details requirements for a particular type of luminaire or group of luminaires on supply voltages not exceeding 1 000 V. These parts are published separately for ease of revision and additional sections will be added as and when a need for them is recognized.“
So the standard can be applied to any luminaire, even if it is safety extra low voltage. The product could still be dangerous even if it is not operating at 230V - it could get too hot, emit dangerous radiation etc., the customer could damage it, or a different product by misusing it if there were no proper instructions, or labelling. .,The list goes on, and all such things are covered In the standard.

PZUFIC

Joined Jan 7, 2012
Thank you very much. So what proccedure I need to follow if someone can be more specific? Inside the lamp there will be a PCB with LEDs drivers, the enclosure will be a combination of metal and plastic or maybe even glass.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Determine which part of EN60598-2 applies to your pRoduct. Then read through parts 1 and 2, and check if you comply: document everything.
Standards will be available at your local library, or you can buy a copy from BSI for £378.00 (that’s just part 1).
The most likely causes of failure will be labelling and manuals.
You’ll also need to get tested for EMC unless you have your own spectrum analyser, or it counts as “benign” (if it has a switched-mode supply then it doesn’t).
if the switched-mode already has certification then it does NOT follow that your product complies.