main parameters while choosing a switching regulator

fakhar786

Joined Sep 11, 2017
Hi All,
Currently I am searching a switching regulator for my new PCB design.
Can any one please guide me, which are main parameter that I should keep in mind while choosing a switching regulator module.
The required supply specs are 1.2V with at least 6 A current with very low noise.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
What is the input voltage and output voltage and output current? From what you wrote I have no idea which of those you meant.
Very low noise is what?Radiated noise? Output noise plus ripple? And how much is very little? Please be more specific.

fakhar786

Joined Sep 11, 2017
What is the input voltage and output voltage and output current? From what you wrote I have no idea which of those you meant.
Very low noise is what?Radiated noise? Output noise plus ripple? And how much is very little? Please be more specific.
Thank you kubeek.
Design requirements are
Input Voltage: 3 to 9 v
Output Voltage1:1.5V with 6 A current
Output Voltage2: 1.2 v with 4A current
Ripple means : Output voltage + ripple, it would be good to have in order of micro volt because PCB will have sensitive FPGA.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
I doubt you can get even as low as tens of millivolts noise, let alone microvolts with a switched power supply at that current.
I suggest you go look at some manufacturers website, for example TI has ready solutions for a lot of fpgas.

fakhar786

Joined Sep 11, 2017
I doubt you can get even as low as tens of millivolts noise, let alone microvolts with a switched power supply at that current.
I suggest you go look at some manufacturers website, for example TI has ready solutions for a lot of fpgas.
I have choose one module LTM4620A from analog devices .Can you please review its specs.will it be enough for me.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
No its not ok, you want it to work from 3V and it needs at least 4.5V.
I suggest you look up an evaluation board for your fpga and just go with that. Much lower chance of error, but the pcb design still has to be pretty damn good in order for the chip to work correctly.