Machinist's-Let's Build My Super America Racing Engine

PICNewbee

Joined Mar 31, 2017
Like the Mickey Rooney Judy Garland movies. 'Hey kids! Let's put on a show!'.

Anybody want to hear about it?

Key feature is it can be built in different configurations.

From single and twin up to V16 and flat16.

Would probably build in scale first. Like the old railroad invention patent models.

1/2 scale? Big enough to make some of the small parts?

Last edited:

PICNewbee

Joined Mar 31, 2017
Hey. They are talking about machining a small part in the other post!

I think this qualifies for off topic.

Looks like there are a lot of machinist's here.

Engine has cross flow heads and dual overhead camshafts. 4 stroke.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Proof? Of what?

I'm curious. Why the eagerness to get circuit heads involved in your metal machining dreams? What do you hope to learn asking the chemistry instructor to help you with your history assignment?
??? I'm just puzzled by your insistence to build a model using machines mentioned here VERY rarely.

PICNewbee

Joined Mar 31, 2017
Externet

My budget?

I would be the wrong person to let loose on a lathe.

I don't have the concentration for that kind of thing.

I provide the design.

What makes different configurations possible is steel billet crankshafts. Welded.

That's a recent development.

I say make individual cylinders and heads.

Then build crankcase in the different configurations.

Common features. Oil pump.Method of oil galleries.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
What makes you think your designs have any worth whatsoever?
You're like the guy with a patentable idea who has no interest in starting and managing an enterprise. You're looking for someone else to do the heavy lifting. No thanks.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
I am led to understand you cannot decipher a sentence which is ended by a question mark.

I will restate my question.

Tell us in detail how to etch the PCB and where the transistors are to be placed and let's get this motor powered up.

PICNewbee

Joined Mar 31, 2017
'someone else to do the heavy lifting'

The idea is to brainstorm.

I got an idea from it already.

Use existing cylinder heads Make a V16. One billet crankshaft.

But.The idea is to make the racing engine from scratch.

PICNewbee

Joined Mar 31, 2017
Kester

Do MCU's 7/24? I don't think so.

Good luck with whatever you're attempting here.

I'm out of here. Don't bother giving any response in any of my posts.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
What makes you think your designs have any worth whatsoever?
You're like the guy with a patentable idea who has no interest in starting and managing an enterprise. You're looking for someone else to do the heavy lifting. No thanks.
Yep I have a bunch of buddies for that here. They have 'a great idea that will make millions' but they just need someone to design, refine build re-refine pay for and market it for them and in all reality it's almost always something that already exist in mass production but just not in the area of life they deal with. That or it has to defy the laws of physics to actually work or be built as they want. :oops:

Now as for the OP I too have actually thought about building my own one-off engine a number of times as well. Nothing fancy or major. Just a little put-putter made from reworked small engine parts fitted into a custom made block. Something low RPM and as high of efficiency as I can make it within the working limits of whatever components I have. :cool:

PICNewbee

Joined Mar 31, 2017
TCM

'Yeah. That's the ticket!'

I say separate cylinders and heads and block.

Anyhow it would be a hobbyist's engine. Motorcyles, go karts and race cars. Same engine. Different configurations.

It would have to be a group of young guys. 18-35. Disposable income. Money for toys.

I'm just here for guidance.

Have to get the high RPM's in there. High RPM's produce more horsepower.

It's physics or something.

PICNewbee

Joined Mar 31, 2017
TCM

If you want to get something made in a reasonable amount of time.

Build a flathead engine.

Can refit it with an overhead valve head and then overhead single cam and dual cam later.

Ala conversions in the 30's to 50;s.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
You guys have fun. I'd rather give a leopard an enema than spend a year making parts for something I can have next week, cheaper than I can buy the parts.
You do have a way with words. The way I hear it the 18-35 year old set has no disposable income and they all live with their mom's on account of nobody will give the a job. Sorta like street level dealers who make less than minimum wage despite the risks.

http://www.cc.ntut.edu.tw/~kmliu/freakonomics/3 durg dealers live with moms.pdf

Last edited:

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
How are you planing on casting the block? Lost wax, or foam mold? What do you envision the material for the block? Cast iron or aluminum? Also, where do I go for the money to do this? Do you have a Paypal account that you could disperse the money from?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
How are you planing on casting the block? Lost wax, or foam mold? What do you envision the material for the block? Cast iron or aluminum? Also, where do I go for the money to do this? Do you have a Paypal account that you could disperse the money from?
Can you show us the blueprints ? ... And the budget ?

That is your job. The OP did the hard part. Coming up with the idea. :eek: