M18 battery pin outs and charger help!

jonmarion

Joined Apr 17, 2017
Hello, New to the forum. I have a Milwaukee M18 Impact Driver and I was given it by a friend and only charger he had was a Milwaukee Jobsite Radio and of course he wants the radio back naturally, so i took the connector off the radio, so im left with the connector that the battery clicks onto which has five wires on it and so long story short and to the point, I was wondering if it was possible first of all, and how would i go about connecting it to another 18v charger i have (not milwaukee). Do it have to be milwaukee, or can i use another brand, what are my options and is there a diagram available?, in the long run of things im trying to be cheap and plus i just like to build electronics. Anyway please help and Thanks for your time.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
You need to find the correct charger for that battery, then you can work out what voltage and pinouts you need, chances are the battety will have 3 or more contacts, one will be a Thermistor, the others the +/- terminals, if the battery is a lithium it will need a special monitor chip, if its a nicad you can use a constant current circuit.

jonmarion

Joined Apr 17, 2017
You need to find the correct charger for that battery, then you can work out what voltage and pinouts you need, chances are the battety will have 3 or more contacts, one will be a Thermistor, the others the +/- terminals, if the battery is a lithium it will need a special monitor chip, if its a nicad you can use a constant current circuit.
Thanks for the reply, it is a nicad battery, and there is five connections on this battery, i was able to remove the part for the radio were you connect the battery so i have that part wires and all, i just am not sure how to connect the to an existing charger, because most of all the 18v chargers I have looked at only have three to four connections.

Best to post pictures of it.

Came across this video

Hi there so i would like ti know how can i charge my m18 2.0, 5.0, and 9.0 batteries since my charger broke again and you mentioned that you charged them with with your work bench charger. So im currently in the phillipines but im from hawaii and if im gonna have to order one it'll take a while and i kinda need one asap really need help bro. Thanks...

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Right you need BAT+ and Bat -, put the charger across these terminals, the pcb is a battery monitor for balancing each cell.

Do i need to buy some kind of special printed circuit board sorry im an electrician but not that much knowledge in electronics. Lol but seriously i appreciate your reply and im sorry for being a dummy at this.