m.340 need help increasing AMPS

m.340

Joined Oct 21, 2007
I live in a condo that was built in 1991. I have 125 AMPS coming in from a closet down the hall. That is all I have to use. Is there any device I can get to increase the amount of AMPS I can use? I am remodeling and upgrading all the electric appliances and adding more. Thank you.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
You might look at the power consunption ratings of the new stuff. It is pretty likely to be more efficient, and therefore need less power to operate. Add up the wattage of each appliance to see where you stand.

Otherwise, the only way is to upgrade the service for your condo. That involves an eclectrician replacing the breaker panel (and perhaps the feed lines) with a 200 amp panel, and then running in more wires. You'll need permission from the condo organization, plus a staggering amount of money to do this.

m.340

Joined Oct 21, 2007
You might look at the power consumption ratings of the new stuff. It is pretty likely to be more efficient, and therefore need less power to operate. Add up the wattage of each appliance to see where you stand.

Otherwise, the only way is to upgrade the service for your condo. That involves an electrician replacing the breaker panel (and perhaps the feed lines) with a 200 amp panel, and then running in more wires. You'll need permission from the condo organization, plus a staggering amount of money to do this.
Each apartment is wired for 125 AMPS. I live 40 stories up and there are 500 apartments. So I can't really bring in anything other that what I have. THe appliances I want are actually more energy dependent. I would like 2 steam shower units at 25 and 50 amps. I am putting in radiant heat throughout, etc.

Nomad

Joined Oct 21, 2007
you'll need to find out what the feed is capable of. it may be possible to replace the breaker box with a 200 amp from the existing feed. this will still involve electrician condo people etc and a be pricey.

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
Yes, I can put one in the apartment.
i meant about the position of transformer in the circuit.

it will not be possible to use transformer after the 125A rating elements.
that wont work.
either u shud go with the other two ideas mentioned or perhaps a parallel connection if at all one is possible.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
You definitely need an electrician.

Perhaps you could use something more efficient than what you're planning for the steam shower - like a large, well-insulated water heater. Of course, if that springs a leak (and they ALL do eventually) your neighbors below you will sustain a lot of water damage.

Check your CC&R's to make sure you don't violate them.

m.340

Joined Oct 21, 2007
you'll need to find out what the feed is capable of. it may be possible to replace the breaker box with a 200 amp from the existing feed. this will still involve electrician condo people etc and a be pricey.
Well, my electrician said that at the junction box down the hallway the wire to my apartment is capable of 150 AMPS. He said the length to my apartment is under 100 feet so if I could get permission to change the 125 switch to a 150 it would help a little bit. He had also said something about getting a steamer with a 480 volt power unit. He said I would need a transformer but it would use less AMPS.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
A transformer exchanges voltage for current. It is not a perfect exchange; there is loss of energy due to resistance, given off as heat. The best you could hope for would be 90% efficiency (even that is a pipe dream) - and you would wind up with a net 10% loss of power.

Of course, you could always turn everything else off while your steam shower heated up.

Really, you already have enough power to run each individual thing you're planning on. You just can't run everything at once.

It's more of a power management problem than strictly power. But replacing the service panel isn't a bad idea, if it's getting on in years. Inexpensive service panels have aluminum bus bars, which can get corroded over time. If you're going to be running close to your rated power, having a new service panel may save you trouble and money in the long run.

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
well,
cant say for sure if in actuality the power losses are so high.
but transformers are highly efficient, i think about as much as even 99 p.c.
but they sure require a lot of cooling.