LTSpice - Six pulse bridge rectifier does not simulate

gebbissimo

Joined Dec 18, 2017
Hello,

I am trying to recreate the characteristic current draw of V1 for a six pulse bridge rectifier (see here: https://abm-website-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/impomag.com/s3fs-public/embedded_image/2016/11/Figure B (page 19).jpg ).

Despite being a simple circuit (?), I run into problems when varying the parameters of the circuit. For R=40 the simulation runs fine, for R=50 the simulation time seems to wait forever. When varying parameters I either ran into a "time step too small" error or a "singular matrix" error.

I have tried:
However, nothing really helped. Do you have any ideas?

Attachments

gebbissimo

Joined Dec 18, 2017
Sorry, you are right. This version of the circuit simulates until R=100, but not for R=150.

P.s.: The version I was referring to is attached in this post. It simulates for R=40, but not for R=50 OR R=30

Attachments

Last edited:

gebbissimo

Joined Dec 18, 2017
@Alec_t : Thank you for trying it out. Your result surprises me. I am using LTS XVII, just did a fresh reinstall from their website. My machine runs Win7. Why would it run on your machine and not on mine?

@Bordodynov : I believe you simulated the circuit from my first post. In that post, I attached another circuit, not the relevant one, which can be found in my second post (post #3). Sorry for my error.

gebbissimo

Joined Dec 18, 2017
P.s.: More accurately, R=30 simulates, but takes minutes instead of less than one second for R=40. R=50 has not finished within about 10 minutes.

P.s.s.: It seems to work if I choose Control Panel > SPICE > Engien > Solver > "Alternate" instead of "normal". Still, I believe a cleaner solution would be to make the circuit more realistic by introducin additional resistors or properties. I am grateful for any more hints.

Last edited:

gebbissimo

Joined Dec 18, 2017
Adding the series resistance seems to do the trick. Even if I add an inductance of 0.4mH to the 1Ohm resistance, it simulates within seconds with the normal solver. Thanks a lot @eetech00 !