LTspice question

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I have previously found it quicker to mock up a prototype than try and use LTspice, but with spare time I though I would try again, one reference here http://denethor.wlu.ca/ltspice/#HI
Shows how to add a part in a library, which seemed super simple, but what about the characteristics that would be needed for a simulation?
I maybe missing something?
Max.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
....Shows how to add a part in a library, which seemed super simple, but what about the characteristics that would be needed for a simulation?
Welcome to learning LTspice.
It rather has a steep learning curve but I think you will find it well worth the effort.
If you go through the tutorials and try simulating some of the many example circuits that comes with LTspice, it shouldn't take that long.

If you mean the model for the component (.lib or .sub file), you normally want that as complex as required to model all the parameters you are interested in.
For semiconductor devices that model is typically quite complex and supplied by the manufacturer.
It cannot be readily generated from the data sheet unless it is just a behavior model and not a semiconductor model.

For example, both behavior and semiconductor models are available for the 555 timer. I believe the one that comes with LTspice is a simple behavior model, but semiconductor models are available on the internet, which generally gives a more accurate simulation of the behavior of the actual device (e.g. output signal voltage level).

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Welcome to learning LTspice.
It rather has a steep learning curve but I think you will find it well worth the effort.
If you go through the tutorials and try simulating some of the many example circuits that comes with LTspice, it shouldn't take that long.

If you mean the model for the component (.lib or .sub file), you normally want that as complex as required to model all the parameters you are interested in.
For semiconductor devices that model is typically quite complex and supplied by the manufacturer.
It cannot be readily generated from the data sheet unless it is just a behavior model and not a semiconductor model.

For example, both behavior and semiconductor models are available for the 555 timer. I believe the one that comes with LTspice is a simple behavior model, but semiconductor models are available on the internet, which generally gives a more accurate simulation of the behavior of the actual device (e.g. output signal voltage level).
For example the link just shows how to add a .ASY file, which worked as they showed but it seemed very minor info, for e.g. non of the libraries I searched I could not find a common 5.1v zener (1N4733).
I picked up a LTspice manual from Abe books but it is not a very good instructional book and does not go into alot of detail.
That has been my deterrent so far is I cannot seem to find the components I am using at the time.
Max.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Googling "1N4733 spice model" brings up what you want. You can copy and paste the model on to your schematic as a Spice directive, or paste it into the standard diode library (having backed up that library first).

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
If it's not clear, there are two parts to a component in LTspice.

The .ASY files in the SYM directory contain the graphical schematic information.
The information in these files tie it to the appropriate device characteristics file in either the ASY directory or the CMP directory.

The .lib or .sub files in the LIB directory contains the information for complex device (e.g. IC) characteristics.

Basic components, such as diodes and transistors, have their characteristics in the CMP directory.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
So where do I put either of these?

> *$
> .model D1N4733 D(Is=1.214f Rs=1.078 Ikf=0 N=1 Xti=3 Eg=1.11
> + Cjo=185p M=.3509 Vj=.75 Fc=.5 Isr=2.601n Nr=2 Bv=5.1 Ibv=.70507
> + Nbv=.74348 Ibvl=4.8274m Nbvl=6.7393 Tbv1=176.471u)
> * Motorola pid=1N4733 case=DO-41
> * 89-9-19 gjg
> * Vz = 5.1 @ 49mA, Zz = 175 @1mA, Zz = 8.2 @5mA, Zz = 2.2 @20mA
> *$

> ****
> .SUBCKT MyZENER 1 2 PARAMS: BV=10 IBV=1m RS=1 IS=10f
> D1 1 2 DZ
> .MODEL DZ D(
> + IS = {IS}
> + RS = {RS}
> + N = 1
> + EG = 1.11
> + BV = {BV}
> + IBV = {IBV} )
> .ENDS MyZENER
> ****

Max.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Normally the first goes in lib/cmp/standard.dio and the second would go in lib/sub.

But I'm not sure what symbol goes with the second.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Thanks to all.
When I get a chance I will try again.
Although I mocked up the circuit, and scoped the result, just was interested in if there would be a difference with LTspice.
Max.