Low voltage wire insulation repair substances.

Roderick Young

Joined Feb 22, 2015
I've found that this inexpensive product called Shoe Goo works for thousand things. The product is intended to be spread on the bottom of shoes as a sacrificial layer to protect the soles, but it makes a decent adhesive, and is obviously tough and flexible, since it's meant to be walked on.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
OK. Enough with the weird guesses. I'm not stuck in Borneo where all I can get is bamboo and monkey poop. I'm going to use that $7 tape from Home Despot.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
The 3M/Scotch electrical tape is the best I've found for car wiring. Tapped up connections for trailer wiring about three years ago and shows no sign of failure yet. Sits outside all year in all weather.
Pretty much any self adhesive tape goes bad in automotive applications. The adhesive dissolves in any stray oil and turns into a sticky mess - in the absence of oil, the heat dries out the adhesive and it just unravels.

Most wiring looms are bound with non adhesive tape and held down at the end with special (expensive) adhesive tap, or heat shrink.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Most wiring looms are bound with non adhesive tape and held down at the end with special (expensive) adhesive tap, or heat shrink.
They haven't used the vinyl ribbon for years, at least GM hasn't. I worked for GM/packard electric and they used to make their own electrical tape.

When I posted ealier I forgot to add the name of the 3M tape. Scotch super 33+. It so far is the best electrical tape for cars that I've used. Oil, grease, sunlight doesn't seem to phase it.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Oil, grease, sunlight doesn't seem to phase it.
When the wires are inside the doors, I'm looking out for humidity, vibration, and abrasion.
Not complaining. It's always good to have more than one choice. When I'm messing around in the engine compartment, grease, oil, high temperatures, and sunlight will be on the list.

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
I have been involved in the automotive/truck and coach electrical repair business for 36+ years and in Canada, we come up with the best weather tests to check everything that comes across the shelf. In your neck of the woods, the self sticking vinyl wrap may cut it, but up here, the best repair we can make is to remove and replace the wire. Second to that, we will cut the wire and either solder and shrink wrap (preferred) or cut and use a sealed weatherproof shrinkable butt connector. I don't think I would trust any other methods up here. The paintable electrical tape is great stuff.........for the guy selling it. It washes off just as easy as you put it on. Anything else will harden and crack apart and electrical tape which should have went out long ago, would be my last choice. If you are going to use shrink tube, use the type that is double walled and contains sealer.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I've found that this inexpensive product called Shoe Goo works for thousand things. The product is intended to be spread on the bottom of shoes as a sacrificial layer to protect the soles, but it makes a decent adhesive, and is obviously tough and flexible, since it's meant to be walked on.
@#12

The shooGoo idea is great. It comes out of the tube as a liquid and becomes an indestructible mass as it cures in air. Make sure you have no shorts when you apply because it will not come apart. It essentially becomes a potting compound - cross-linked polyurethane elastomer.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
@#12

The shooGoo idea is great. It comes out of the tube as a liquid and becomes an indestructible mass as it cures in air. Make sure you have no shorts when you apply because it will not come apart. It essentially becomes a potting compound - cross-linked polyurethane elastomer.
Where did you find this product? I need it for my shoes. Blasphemy, I know, using a product on-label, but it is just what I was looking for.