Low Force Light Bulb Control Conundrum

jombus

Joined Jun 26, 2024
I am a lighting designer and like to incorporate fun, satisfying, and elegant interactions into my designs for how the light is switched on and off. I like to use regular LED light bulbs which require 120v wall power, and typical light switches (push buttons, rotary switches, toggle switches) all have a clunky nature to them. In short, they require too much force to operate for my liking. My question is: do any of you hardware experts know of low force ways to switch wall power on and off that ideally comes in a single component? I know I could do the relay route and use low a low force switch with that, but then I need a microcontroller and a power supply.
Some ways that I have addressed this problem in the past are:
- using a long lever microswitch rated for wall power, and attaching a pen click cam mechanism to the lever, to essentially create a latching microswitch
- using a on/off touch switch (one that you would see in touch lamps) attaching the touch wire to one leg of a mechanical keyboard switch, and the other leg of the keyboard switch to the ground wire for the lamp (running through a resistor/capacitor filter) to effectively trick the touch switch into thinking it is "touched" every time the keyboard switch is pressed.
Neither of these options are ideal, so I would really appreciate any advice! I'm also wondering how feasible it would be for me to create my own component that does this function for me. Thanks in advance!

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
For the ultimate in more compact and lower priced switching, consider the LED optical interrupter assembly, controlling an SSR. the moving portion would be an opaque "flag" blocking the light beam. Compact and about as low force as possible.

Of course there is a basic disadvantage to all low-operation-force switching , which is that it is easy to accidentally operate.

Really, I just visited a place that had the ultimate in low-force control. All I had to do was say "Alexis, switch off the lights".
Of course, I would never use that name for a computer. As in "Star Trek", the command would be "Computer, switch on this room lights." Much better, because "Computer" is not a common person name. And others hearing the statement would know it is not intended for them.

The intrinsic flaws in selecting new and uncommon control hardware are the probability that it will not be available for long, and that when it fails replacement or repairs will not be available, and probably no service person will have a clue as to how it works or how it should work.