Lost weapon found.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
Makes me wonder just how long it really was out there. Seems like the stock would've completely rotted off the rifle if it had been exposed for all those years. A great piece for whoever found it!

Eta; Wonder if it was still loaded ?

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Makes me wonder just how long it really was out there. Seems like the stock would've completely rotted off the rifle if it had been exposed for all those years. A great piece for whoever found it!

Eta; Wonder if it was still loaded ?
The breach is probably rusted shut by now; it would make a great piece to hang on the wall.

I've alway liked those guns; I've thought if I were to purchase a rifle it would be an 1873 I think the ones they make today are .357 then purchase a pistol of the same .cal. The Original was .44 and was handy the bullet can to be used in pistols no need for separate .cal bullets; I would think you could cut casings down once the rifle casing was damaged and continue to use them in a pistol ?

I think I read that in one of my Gun Magazines once; not sure?

kv

Edit: Now that I think about it; a pistol would be easy to sight after my Cataract Surgery. I have the far sight lens's and holding a pistol at arms length would be no challenge. However, being a right handed shooter I might need to remove the left lens from my reading glasses.

Last edited:

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Edit: Now that I think about it; a pistol would be easy to sight after my Cataract Surgery. I have the far sight lens's and holding a pistol at arms length would be no challenge. However, being a right handed shooter I might need to remove the left lens from my reading glasses.
I, too, am farsighted. I had a pair of yellow tinted shooting glasses made with a +2 diopter lens on the right, and a plain lens in the left. With a little practice, you will learn to see the rear sight with the right eye, and the bull with the left.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Ok, I found this tidbit; the casings appear to be the same. One is not longer than the other; you just load them either for Pistol or Rifle.

I can see potential for a mismatched loads blowing your hand gun up or damaging it.

kv

Edit: Hence the name Pistol Carbine. It can take a pistol cartridge and both work equally well in either the Rifle or Gun.

Last edited:

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
So that's where I put that darn rifle down. Been wondering for the past 132 years where I put it down. Yeah, I set it on a sapling, guess a tree grew.

Seriously, a pretty cool find. So you find a rifle that has likely been out there for a hundred years plus. That Model of 1873 was made in 1882 when they were made with an iron frame before 1884 when they changed to steel. In one picture I saw of the rifle it had the octagon barrel and was chambered in the 44-40 Winchester. The question is how did it get there? The area was known for mining and of course hunting. My guess is during those days people seldom set a rifle down and strayed far from their rifle. Eventually I guess the rifle is slated to find its way to the museum of the park it was found in, Great Basin National Park. The rifle that won the west or so an advertising campaign said. :)

On a side note as to the 44-40 cartridge, also known as the 44 WCF (Winchester Center Fire) and a few other names. By 1878 Colt began offering the first revolvers chambered for the cartridge. It is known as the first effective combination cartridge that could be used in a rifle and handgun. Originally, there was no difference between the cartridge as used in a rifle or revolver. During the early days of metallic cartridges American cartridges were loaded with black powder. A 44-40 was a 44 Caliber bullet propelled by 40 grains of black powder, a 45-70 Government cartridge was a 45 caliber bullet propelled by 70 grains of black powder. There wasn't a wide range of bullets, they were simply cast lead. I think the original loading was a 200 grain or 205 grain lead bullet for the 44-40. Today is a different story with smokeless powder propellants. The old original loading would push a lead bullet at around 1,000 FPS. Today's loadings can push 180 and 200 grain jacketed bullets up around 1800 FPS. Obviously, we don't shove one of these loadings in a late 1800s rifle or old rifle. These new loadings are used in the newer guns like the Marlin lever guns. The cartridge still has a strong following.

http://www.nationalparkstraveler.co...er-rifle-found-great-basin-national-park26150

Ron

Last edited:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
The age of the gun tells nothing about how long it's been out there. I have my grandfather's shotgun, which was probably new roughly 100 years ago. If I go out and lose it in the woods, the finder would claim it was a "100-yr old shotgun found in the woods". True, but not all that stunning.

Only forensic dating of the "scene" will tell how long the gun may have been waiting there for someone to spot it.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
The age of the gun tells nothing about how long it's been out there. I have my grandfather's shotgun, which was probably new roughly 100 years ago. If I go out and lose it in the woods, the finder would claim it was a "100-yr old shotgun found in the woods". True, but not all that stunning.

Only forensic dating of the "scene" will tell how long the gun may have been waiting there for someone to spot it.
That would be quite true and on target.

Ron

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Good to hear from you again, Ron.
Yeah, I migrated. :)

My last year on the job was just so busy. Come home from work and I wanted to see or do anything electronic. I knew I wanted to retire so got intense with getting all work projects done. Always nice to go out on a good note. Today my days are spent on the range, especially during the summer days and nice weather. Winters I enjoy the indoor range and my hand loading ammunition. The other place got so quiet and I stumbled upon this forum which I am enjoying. Good to hear from you Brownout and so many familiar names here.

Thanks a Bunch....
Ron

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I definitely know what you mean. I don't do much electronics when I'm working either. It's usually the last thing I want to do, although I can always think of things I need made. I'm taking the opportunity between contracts to do some things, like make myself a DIY home surveillance system to allow me to use the internet to keep an eye on my place when I go back on the road. This is different than the electronics projects I usually fool around with -- using components and software that's already there in a different way. I was reading about this for a couple years through, so its falling into place pretty easily.

Ello :D. Funny reading this thread, you can tell who is from the states! The talk is of this bullet or that bullet and tech details on the gun...............Over here it would be talk of how many police cars turned up to make it safe and how many people got arrested for looking at it lol. I have shot a shotgun (I am old enough now 14) but would love to try out a rifle.
I am good at clay shooting but sometimes think a shotgun is a bit hard to miss with :D
Hi guys nice to see you all!

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
"Winchester Cathedral" pretty cool response. Well as NE Ohio cools down with winter looming it is time I start my winter reloading since my leisurely days on the range won't be many remaining. My outdoor range is not very enjoyable when it is covered in snow and ice. I guess with age I have become a fair weather shooter. There is always the indoor range and getting out the handguns I guess. :)

Ron