Lose wire in car junction box

Sycrid

Joined Feb 17, 2018
Hi everyone.

See the image attached.

I recently had an accident which resulted in me having to replace my wing mirror. The problem is that i can only get second hand parts as they dont make new ones.

Anyway after never working on a car before in my life and spending 2 hours of my time, i managed to replace it. The problem i have is that im getting intermittent power to the indicator on the replacement wing mirror.

If you look at the image, i think i have found the issue and im wondering if it can be fixed. It looks like a lose wire (purple), and its the correct colour for the mirror leds for indicating.

Can i throw a bunch or solder into this or is there something else i can do?

If its to complex, are there any recommended trades i could go to, so it can be fixed. Im sure one hours labour is cheaper than another wing mirror.

Regards
Mark

Attachments

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Try poking, gently, the purple wire back down in the connector. It should latch itself down in the slot it is sitting in. The wire should be crimped on either a male or female end. Those ends should latch themselves into the plastic housing. Before I would worry about solder I would try and re seat it so it is level and inserted like the other ones.

Ron

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Try poking a small screwdriver into the connector to re-lock it, if it keeps coming out then i would cut both sides of the connection and join the wires together with a terminal block.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I agree with the "poke" folks. Quite often, the plastic spring latch holding a connector pin/receptacle will let it slide up in the housing making an intermittent or no connection.