LORA SX1278 with PIC16

tudorel1999

Joined Feb 24, 2022
How can I program LoRa SX1278 (not with LoRaWan) to send data from a PIC16 over SPI interface? What program should I use for this task? I couldn't find a library for LoRa(only LoRaWan) in MPLAB X IDE and neither in mikroC for this.

trebla

Joined Jun 29, 2019
I think there is not available any driver for PIC16 because the PIC16 has not enough memory for normal operation with SX1278, see the application note.
You can use MCC generated SPI driver for PIC and try read/write SX1278 registers directly. Unfortunately, you must study the datasheet for this. Better look toward some MCU with bigger memory, for example PIC24, maybe some bigger PIC18 will do too.

tudorel1999

Joined Feb 24, 2022
I think there is not available any driver for PIC16 because the PIC16 has not enough memory for normal operation with SX1278, see the application note.
You can use MCC generated SPI driver for PIC and try read/write SX1278 registers directly. Unfortunately, you must study the datasheet for this. Better look toward some MCU with bigger memory, for example PIC24, maybe some bigger PIC18 will do too.
I figured that out from a datasheet that explained compatibility with MCU and what RAM AND FLASH I need for that to work so I found one PIC16Q that has enough RAM or FLASH (that satisfied the minimum requirements not recommended) but it was a bit of pain to interface it with LORA so I switched to an XBEE and kept it simple with UART.