Looking to add Auto Sleep/Shutdown after inactivity for Console Controller?

amp .dipkings

Joined Jun 3, 2018
Hello,
My project is somewhat of an "already been done" for the most part. I am building a wireless N64 controller. (That parts been done) From the best of my knowledge I have the TX and RX circuits complete, however, the controller is reliant on a manual on/off switch. I'm wondering the best way to go about adding an inactivity monitor to the mix to allow the controller to turn off after a certain amount of time of no buttons being pressed. Then, perhaps a specific button (or any button) to wake it back up. I'd be perfectly fine with just needing to turn it back on though. I have no issues changing to momentary switch as I see this is the most popular way to do this type of circuit. Also all the controllers today that have this feature are setup without a manual on/off.

I saw a thread on here about an auto off circuit that looked promising, but if I can integrate it directly using the IC I have that would be ideal.

Attached is the TX schematic. Please let me know what you think about this.

Linked HERE is the thread I thought looked promising.

Thanks!

Attachments

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi amp,
Welcome to AAC.
Are you able to program a small MCU, say a PIC 12F683 or similar.?
What 'inactivity' time are you planning for, before shut down.?
E
EDIT:
Is it Ken's MOSFET circuit you are considering using.?

Attachments

amp .dipkings

Joined Jun 3, 2018
hi amp,
Welcome to AAC.
Are you able to program a small MCU, say a PIC 12F683 or similar.?
What 'inactivity' time are you planning for, before shut down.?
E
EDIT:
Is it Ken's MOSFET circuit you are considering using.?
Thanks for the reply! I have a programmer that does the Attiny2313 that I use in this circuit, so if that can do it, then yes I can. It is that circuit I was looking at! The inactivity would be no buttons pressed for x amount of time. Say you're playing a game, put the controller down and forget to turn it off, after x then controller turns off/goes to sleep (whichever is easier). I'm working with a very small space here. So the smaller the better, and if the Attiny2313 can do this function even better! If you're asking for a specific time in which it shuts off/sleeps, I believe 10 minutes should do it. Truth be told I have the idea in my head but I'm new to this, I'm learning as I go and been trying to follow as much as I can in the world of MCUs and programming.