looking for vary flexible wire ~24AWG for SERVO sweep use.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Are you sure you need it to be flexible? Sometimes it is better if the insulation is stiffer, as it makes the wire bend over a bigger radius instead of bending abruptly at a certain point.

bassbindevil

Joined Jan 23, 2014
The first thing that came to mind was the wires for record player pickup arms. On Amazon I found "TURNTABLE FLEXIBLE VERY THIN WIRES TO REWIRE ANY TONEARM. SET OF 4" but at an outrageous price. But if you still have a nearby dealer in radio/TV/stereo repair parts, that's a good place to look. Or look for flexible wires inside a headphone cable or USB cable or whatever e-waste you have lying around.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I used to work at a place that used a wire called "Superflex" for production line cables that flexed constantly and had to last a year. Not sure where they purchased it, but that will work very well for the servo sensor application.

LAOADAM

Joined Nov 21, 2018
Are you sure you need it to be flexible? Sometimes it is better if the insulation is stiffer, as it makes the wire bend over a bigger radius instead of bending abruptly at a certain point.
Thanks.
its true some times the stiff wire better. in my case here is a very small space, I striped the cable of RS232 and used the wire inside which is good for now. the red piece is 24AWG. wire.jpgwire1.jpg

Last edited:

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Th critical part is to provide strain relief at the end of of the wire that is fixed in position so the solder joint or terminal connection isn’t flexed. It is also helpful to provide enough slack often with a loop, that even the strain relief takes little of the flexing which is instead spread over the larger area of the loop. Take care, though, not to make such a loop to small because that defeats the purpose. I space is tight the loop can be just a half loop that proves a way to distribute the flexing.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
How much flexing does that wire actually need to do? And what sort of life-span is required? What happens when one of the conductors fails? If the sensor is in the feedback loop for a servo it may be that the results of losing that feedback are very undesirable.
In fact, it is important to understand what happens when one of the conductors does break, and certainly with constant flexing that will happen eventually. I have seen a rather expensive result of a servo failure caused by a limit switch mounting screw becoming loose. Fortunately for me it was not in the section that I had even touched. But it cost somebody two days of lost production in addition to the cost of replacing the broken parts.

LAOADAM

Joined Nov 21, 2018
Th critical part is to provide strain relief at the end of of the wire that is fixed in position so the solder joint or terminal connection isn’t flexed. It is also helpful to provide enough slack often with a loop, that even the strain relief takes little of the flexing which is instead spread over the larger area of the loop. Take care, though, not to make such a loop to small because that defeats the purpose. I space is tight the loop can be just a half loop that proves a way to distribute the flexing.
Thanks.

LAOADAM

Joined Nov 21, 2018
How much flexing does that wire actually need to do? And what sort of life-span is required? What happens when one of the conductors fails? If the sensor is in the feedback loop for a servo it may be that the results of losing that feedback are very undesirable.
In fact, it is important to understand what happens when one of the conductors does break, and certainly with constant flexing that will happen eventually. I have seen a rather expensive result of a servo failure caused by a limit switch mounting screw becoming loose. Fortunately for me it was not in the section that I had even touched. But it cost somebody two days of lost production in addition to the cost of replacing the broken parts.
Thanks.