Looking for these sockets

christiannielsen

Joined Jun 30, 2019
Hi,

I am buying most of my components on aliexpress.com

I am searching for sockets, if they exists, for:

- Trimpots like these and similar trimpots
- Female JR connectors for servo motor. (male connector on the pcb that is not pin headers) I need the type that you cannot plug in the female connector incorrectly.

Both for PCB mounting.

Does that exist?

thanks

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I'd use machine pin sockets. I'll post a picture of some later...
Personally, I'd buy most of my components from more reputable sources. The people on Ali Express typically don't know anything about what they're selling and they're quite likely to be low quality or counterfeit.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Here's what a machined pin header looks like:
1599324547557.png

They work well with small, round pins. If appropriately sized, they also work with square pins.

As for the second question,
Female JR connectors for servo motor. (male connector on the pcb that is not pin headers) I need the type that you cannot plug in the female connector incorrectly.
My interpretation is you need a PCB-mounted, female connector with a male shroud that is keyed for the bevels on JR. In other words, an ordinary JR connector for the servo end that is for PCB mounting. I have never seen one, but it would be relatively easy to modify the free-hanging version for TH PCB mounting.

Or, are you looking for a shrouded male pinheader that is appropriately keyed? That is, what the receiver usually has. How many servos at a time do you need it for?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Unfortunately, my tripod is tied up until tomorror afternoon. I will try to explain what I meant. Here's an old style JR female connector with the double beveled shroud:

1599333081920.png

There are 4 types of pins/connectors with 0.1" pitch in my experience (ignoring Futaba and some European brands). My names for them are "barbed" (2 types - long and short) and detent, also with long and short varieties. JR is a detent, long in that scheme. The detent means there is a plastic finger that pops into the contact between the contact area and crimp area. The long and short refers to the width of plastic between the contact end and the detent.

What I would do is simply sand off about half of the shoulder between the wire end and beginning of the detent finger (blue arrow). Crimp the contact without a wire in it, insert that into the plastic, then insert the exposed pin into a board and solder.

If that does not appeal to you, I would crimp and solder a standard 0.025 square bare header pin (they come in lengths of up to about 1") to the female contact, insert in the plastic shroud as usual, and solder the extended pins to my PCB. This option might be more robust, but stands taller off the board.

If that is not clear, I will post photos when my tripod is free (it is currently in the barn with a trail camera on it to catch rats).

BTW, I switched from Airtronics to JR years ago and never regretted it, except for the 8SP for sailplanes. It saddened me to see it lose out to Spectrum at 2.4 GHz.

christiannielsen

Joined Jun 30, 2019
Unfortunately, my tripod is tied up until tomorror afternoon. I will try to explain what I meant. Here's an old style JR female connector with the double beveled shroud:

View attachment 216434

There are 4 types of pins/connectors with 0.1" pitch in my experience (ignoring Futaba and some European brands). My names for them are "barbed" (2 types - long and short) and detent, also with long and short varieties. JR is a detent, long in that scheme. The detent means there is a plastic finger that pops into the contact between the contact area and crimp area. The long and short refers to the width of plastic between the contact end and the detent.

What I would do is simply sand off about half of the shoulder between the wire end and beginning of the detent finger (blue arrow). Crimp the contact without a wire in it, insert that into the plastic, then insert the exposed pin into a board and solder.

If that does not appeal to you, I would crimp and solder a standard 0.025 square bare header pin (they come in lengths of up to about 1") to the female contact, insert in the plastic shroud as usual, and solder the extended pins to my PCB. This option might be more robust, but stands taller off the board.

If that is not clear, I will post photos when my tripod is free (it is currently in the barn with a trail camera on it to catch rats).

BTW, I switched from Airtronics to JR years ago and never regretted it, except for the 8SP for sailplanes. It saddened me to see it lose out to Spectrum at 2.4 GHz.
Thanks for your feedback and ideas. This opens up to many different solutions now that there are not a version for PCB mounting. I was wondering if it was possible to use pin header in combination with a 3d drawn "shell" or "housing" to mount on PCB. But I dont have a 3d printer. Yet. :)

I actually also have several RC planes and I use a Spectrum 2.4 GHz transmitter.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I was wondering if it was possible to use pin header in combination with a 3d drawn "shell" or "housing" to mount on PCB. But I dont have a 3d printer. Yet. :)
For the male servo connector ("pinheader") shrouded and polarized versions are available, I believe. The connector on your receiver is one example. For single sets, the male inline connector may have a removable shroud. That could simply be shortened and applied around a non-polarized header. Or, use a 1-side shrouded pinhead and add a piece of plastic to one side of the female plug to keep it from going in the wrong way.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I thought you had found something like the pins I showed:
1599416324021.png
https://www.peconnectors.com/sockets-sip-machined/hws5470/

If the height above the board with regular machined pin sockets is good enough, they're less expensive. If you want a lower profile, you can remove the pins from the strip; but that will require a significantly larger hole and placing them at tenth inch spacing will be more difficult.

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Hi,

- Trimpots like these and similar trimpots
- Female JR connectors for servo motor. (male connector on the pcb that is not pin headers) I need the type that you cannot plug in the female connector incorrectly.

Both for PCB mounting.

Does that exist?

thanks
If you want trimpots, use Bournes.
For connectors, look at male & female headers from molex, and idc flat (aka 'ribbon') cable.

Blue trimpot shown and custom cables for this custom-engineered project shown:

1599416803749.png