looking for Single Board Embedded PC which has capability to read 4-20 current and Modbus and GPIO

mandar_003

Joined Aug 18, 2017
Currently we are looking for Industry Standard single board PC like Raspberry Pi. Which has capability to read 4-20 current and Modbus and GPIO pin. Also I heard from lot of people that Raspberry Pi is used for DIY purpose and not for Industrial use. So could anyone suggest me the board which can be used in Industries?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
The Raspberry Pi cant read analog signals without the addition of an A to D chip. Anyway you have a 4 to 20 mA signal you want to read and convert to engineering units I assume. Generally the 4-20 mA signal is run through a resistor resulting in a 1 to 5 VDC or 2 to 10 VDC (250 Ohm - 500 Ohm) input to an A to D system. When you say board what exactly do you mean? There are analog input boards which go directly into a PC or other assorted add on boards and systems. You also don't mention what resolution you need with the A/D conversion? Anyway, a Raspberry Pi does not have any analog input ports it would require an external A/D converter. What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Ron

mandar_003

Joined Aug 18, 2017
Ron thanks for the Info.
Okay here is the scenario we do have couple of sensors i.e. GenSet which talks on Modbus Protocol with RS485 Wires and we also do have Soil Moisture sensor which outputs 4-20ma Current.
So we need some Industry standard board which will enable us to collect the data from these two items.
So the idea is Instead of adding so many addons for Raspberry PI Or Arduino i.e. (Modbus shiled,250 ohms registers, MCP A/D convertors) we are looking a board or device which will get us this features.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
OK, now I get what things are all about. Unfortunately I don't have a solution other than those you already mentioned. Hopefully we have another member here with a solution that will be simple. Thanks for the good explanation, that should help.

Ron