Looking for power source to perform electrolysis for rust removal

MRMATT22

Joined Jan 15, 2020
Hi ,

I'm Looking to remove rust via electrolysis. I use to do this with an old battery charger that i had, (and can no longer find an old one). The battery charger would have an output of about 4 amps, and worked well.

Now automotive stores sell smart battery chargers, which have their benefits, but not for this approach.

I had 2, smart battery charges, it ruined 1, the other seems to survive, however to get the battery charger started I have to hook it up to a battery first with all other electrolysis wires attached. Once it starts, I disconnect the charger from the battery & the charger thinks it is still charging the battery... However my smart charger is too smart I guess and realizes something is wrong with the "battery" and turns off the current. I am looking for some other means to do this instead of the charger.. perhaps make use of this https://www.elliottelectronicsupply.com/power-supplies/ac-transformer-12-vct-4a.html ?

I am pretty much electronically ignorant, so sorry for not being more detailed. Basically I want to plug in a unit to household current, have about 13 V output having either 2, or 4 amps. Battery chargers give this amp option ( along with 6 amp additionally - usually.
Of course, the cheaper the better.

Andy input would be much appreciated!
Thanks so much
Matt

Metal plates beneath the plastic frame are my anode, part to be cleaned is cathode

electrolysis setup.jpg

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
A PC supply will give you 12V at way more current than you need. They are available new quite cheaply or you might get one from an old PC.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Have you considered a resistor in series to limit the current or maybe even easier, limit the amount of electrolyte you add.? Current and voltage in an ohmic system, are inextricably linked by resistance.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
The power supply will only "give out" the current the load requires.
If your battery charger was still supplying the correct voltage, and not excessive current, the PC power supply should be ok too.
It is just capable of more current, depending on what the load wants.
Try it and see. You may find in fact it supplies less current that the battery charger as the charger output volts will be a fair bit higher.