Looking for power advice

Mullins

Joined Dec 31, 2021
Hi to all,
I'm looking for advice to chose a power solutions for my mini pc.
So I have a miniPC and it's rated 19v 4A. My idea is to do something like the picture exampleminipc.pngI know that this solutions is not "eco friendly" but I don't have a better idea. What do you think about. Any better solutions?
Happy Christmas

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Hi to all,
I'm looking for advice to chose a power solutions for my mini pc.
So I have a miniPC and it's rated 19v 4A. My idea is to do something like the picture exampleView attachment 310840I know that this solutions is not "eco friendly" but I don't have a better idea. What do you think about. Any better solutions?
Happy Christmas
What are the limits of error on the 19V?

Mullins

Joined Dec 31, 2021
Hi Ian0,
I think you are talking about the voltage stability. If yes I think it can work fine with 18.5-19.5v. I don't know what error percentage go for.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Why would you be using a battery to charge a battery?? please explain why. Battery charging for computers is normally done from the mains because it is much more efficient. And normally the battery and the BMS are integral with the computer assembly.
OR are you trying to work around a failed computer battery?

Mullins

Joined Dec 31, 2021
hi @MisterBill2 and thank you for your question. I will use this pc to work on the car (I am mechanic). On the car usually you have cigarette lighter but in many car this power go off when you turn the ignition off. That is why this pc need to be powered by a battery. Since I'm working in a car I choose the system I explain on the first post. If you have any better idea please explain it to me.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
hi @MisterBill2 and thank you for your question. I will use this pc to work on the car (I am mechanic). On the car usually you have cigarette lighter but in many car this power go off when you turn the ignition off. That is why this pc need to be powered by a battery. Since I'm working in a car I choose the system I explain on the first post. If you have any better idea please explain it to me.
With that in mind and you just want to power the PC and want 19 volts @ 4.0 amps maximum I would just run with an inexpensive 5.0 amp buck converter or if you want to simply run off automotive power a 5.0 amp boost converter.

Ron

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
The simple plan that I use when Engine-Tuning with "HP-Tuners" Software is a
super-cheap ~100-Watt / 120V Inverter from Wal-Mart,
then just plug-in the standard, factory-supplied, Laptop-Power-Supply.
( I think I paid around ~$25.oo for it )
It's around ~5-years old now,
and has been living under the passenger-seat, continuously, for all that time,
still reliable as ever, and provides more than enough Power.

Mullins

Joined Dec 31, 2021
Ok but I work on many car. And some of them maybe doesn't have cigarette lighters in working conditions. Often I need to switch on and off the car. So I need a battery to maintain on my pc during this period.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
Then extend the Input-Wires on the Inverter and connect them directly to the Car's Starter-Battery.

Using anything other than a standard SMPS that came with the Computer is not recommended.

It's far too easy to possibly damage your Computer, permanently,
if You are not extremely careful with how You supply Power to it.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
LQC makes a very good point. As long as the required service does not require driving the car or moving it, a standard inverter package powering the PC's intended mains operated power supply would be the simple and reliable scheme. The reliability is greatly improved if the PC used has a working internal battery supply.
But certainly a separate supply using a direct battery connection and providing an adequate 19.5 volt output would be a good alternative, The one mandatory requirement will be isolation between the input power and the output power, to protect against any external computer connections and the vehicle body common power system. I have not yet seen a suitable switcher to provide the 19.5 volts@3 amps from a 10 to 15 volt source yet, at least not at a reasonable price. So far the 12DC to 120 AC inverter powering the regular switcher supply is the reasonable and cheapest, because I own both already.

Last edited:

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
It's short for LowQCab,
as in, a sealed Speaker-Cabinet with a very Low "Q" factor.
My "handle" for the last ~35-years.