Looking for Op Amp 5534

Thread Starter

frenchie29

Joined Nov 28, 2008
134
I usually get all my chips on ebay but not that one

Anybody knows where I can get a 5534 op amp? All my google results are linked to forums or specs but no sales!!!

Thank you
 

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
15,819
There are few op amps left that perform as poorly as a 741. Choose an op amp made for audio applications, like the OPA134.
 

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
11,248
Don't buy cheap counterfeight parts on E-Bay.
By genuine real parts from an electronic parts distributor like Digikey.

The NE5534 is a much better single opamp than a lousy old 741 opamp. An OPA134 or TL071 are also good single opamps.
They all have the same pins numbers as a 741.
 
Last edited:

Thread Starter

frenchie29

Joined Nov 28, 2008
134
I just bought 25 5534s for $23 from Digikey

If I get the OPA134 would I need to change any components from that kit? With the 5534 it's just a chip swap with the 741
 

Thread Starter

frenchie29

Joined Nov 28, 2008
134
Last edited:

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
11,248
Compare the datasheets of the very old NE5534 to the newer OPA134:
1) They both have a wide range of supply voltages.
2) They can both drive a load as low as 600 ohms.
3) The datasheet for the NE5534 does not mention distortion but I think it is pretty low.
The OPA134 has 0.00008% distortion.
4) The NE5534 has a full supply voltage max frequency of 100kHz. It is 230kHz for the OPA134.
5) The NE5534 has input junction transistors so its input impedance is not very high and its noise at high source resistances is high.
The OPA134 has FET inputs so its input impedance is very high and its noise is low for any source resistance.
 

Thread Starter

frenchie29

Joined Nov 28, 2008
134
I changed the original 741 for a 5534 and a 134 and it's clean like a whistle

the 134 is a bit "warmer" but has less gain then the 5534
 

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
11,248
The NE5534 has a typical internal gain of 100,000 at 1khz.
The OPA134 has a typical internal gain of 10,000 at 1kHz.
When negative feedback is added then the gain for each is the same.
 
Top